Options

Music in the park

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited January 3, 2005 in Landscapes
We saw this gentleman in Balboa Park yesterday. He was a "one man band" with bells on his ankles and little shakers, sticks and chimes for his hand. As you can see, he had several horns, each with a different sound. African music I think. Very interesting.
13583650-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    We saw this gentleman in Balboa Park yesterday. He was a "one man band" with bells on his ankles and little shakers, sticks and chimes for his hand. As you can see, he had several horns, each with a different sound. African music I think. Very interesting.
    13583650-S.jpg

Thats a very interesting instrument. Nice shot.

I have been to many of the bigger cities and have seen musicians playing on the streets in many of them. I have never seen that here. I dont know if we are just too small or what. (400,000)
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    Thanks Greaper
    GREAPER wrote:
    Thats a very interesting instrument. Nice shot.

I have been to many of the bigger cities and have seen musicians playing on the streets in many of them. I have never seen that here. I dont know if we are just too small or what. (400,000)
    This is the first time I've ever seen this instrument. Looks like hand carved and hand painted. Beautiful scenes painted on each one, by the way. He blew into them with a "puff, puff - puff, puff" sort of sound. Like a drum beat. It was very rythmic and fast. He really was working hard. He got lots of tips. The people really liked it.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    I think some of those folks do OK. In S.F. down by Fisherman's Warf we were waiting for the trolly and there was a guy playing guitar there. He played a few songs then passed his hat. I bet he pulled in 100 bucks or more at least. Not bad for 15 minutes work.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I think some of those folks do OK. In S.F. down by Fisherman's Warf we were waiting for the trolly and there was a guy playing guitar there. He played a few songs then passed his hat. I bet he pulled in 100 bucks or more at least. Not bad for 15 minutes work.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe, but what about when it's rainy and cold? I still don't envy their line of work. I do, however, admire their grit.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    That is a good photo of him, Snappy. His glass jar does have lots of money in it. They start out with money, though.

I think, all the ones I have seen, I guess it is to let us know what the glass, jar, whatever, is for.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    wow...that's the biggest bong I've ever seen!! :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    Lol, Its a big one alright...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 3, 2005
    fish wrote:
    wow...that's the biggest bong I've ever seen!! :D
    fish, I think it's called a "super-charger" rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot though. It looks a tad like a cross between a diggereedoo and one
    of those swiss horns.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    Thanks all for dropping by. Ginger, Fish, Greaper, Ian - thank you all for your comments. That is a cool horn. The man is also cool. He tipped his hat to all who contributed and to me for taking his picture, and never missed a beat.