Tour of Chicago

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited December 12, 2006 in People
It feels like forever since I have posted in here so be kind, I'm a little rusty. Today I went to Chicago with some friends for a 51st birthday and also to show a friend from Germany the diferent parts of Chicago. We started off in Andersonville which is the Swedish part of Chicago. Breakfast was at Ann Sathers which is a wonderful restaurant for breakfast and lunch. I had eggs, Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, potato sausage, meatballs, and some of the best cinnamon rolls around.
116103346-L.jpg

From there we went to Chinatown to browse the shops. For anyone that has never been to Chinatown here is one helpful tip. Go to the bathroom before you get there because there are no public bathrooms unless you are eating in a restaurant. So we stopped at a restaurant and had a drink so we could use the facilities. Before we did that here is my German friend taking a picture of Chinatown with the Sears tower in the background.
116104013-L.jpg

We got back in the cars and drove to the Christkindlmarket. Parking is terrible there and we had to park in a garage kind of far away. The birthday boy was sad because of the car we happened to park next to.
116101836-L.jpg
For those to lazy to read the link I posted for the Christkindlmarket, it is a German market where you can buy handmade glass ornaments and other Christmasy type items. But most people go there to eat sausage, freshly roasted nuts, pretzles and drink [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Glühwein. And yes, we took a visiting German to a fake German market. He found it pretty amusing but enjoyed drinking the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Glühwein from the boot mugs it comes in.
116102487-L.jpg

Finally we ended up in Greektown for
[/FONT]Saganaki, Roditis (a type of wine) and homeade Gyros at Roditis Restaurant. All of the restaurants in greektown are good and Roditis is no exception. It is cheaper than some with a more casual atmosphere. Plus it has its own parking lot were you can park for free as long as you are eating there.

So that was my ethnic tour of Chicago. I hope you liked it as much as I did and maybe you learned about a couple new places to go visit.
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Seems almost like a trip around the world huh?
    I like the joke of the aging police, that was good.
    Mostly it seems like you just got some really good snap shots from the day and those are enough to keep these amusing memories alive.
    I liked the angle you had in the first shot but the focus was off.
    Thanks for the trip around Chicago!
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com