Options

format mac disc?

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited December 13, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a mac n00b, so forgive my question.

I have an external disc, currently formatted as NTFS. I'd like to format it as a mac disc, but can't seem to find how. I found the 'disc utility' but not sure what to do with that. I tried erasing the data and selecting a different structure (mac journaled, is that the correct one?) but it tells me it can't unmount the disc.

Any ideas? I don't care about the data on the disc, it can go.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Yeah, that's the right tool. First make sure you have selected a partition in the left hand pane.

116706641-Ti.jpg

In that shot I selected the partition "Mad Hatter", not the disk "233.8 GB Maxtor 6L250M0". Then select the erase tab of the right pane, set the volume format to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" and click the "Erase" button.

If you can't click Erase, then hit the Unmount button at the top and try again.

If it can't unmount, then make sure you don't have any files open from it, or commands running from it, etc. (if you aren't sure what that means, just reboot and do this process *first thing* as soon as you reboot.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/