My new Canon 100mm :(

NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited December 12, 2006 in Cameras
here is the short story. I bought a canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens off eBay. title said excellent condition, only used twice. well... after I got the RIGHT lens I have noticed that it has some dust on the inside that I can't get to. I dont know if it shows on the pics yet.. I am at work. would you send this lens back??

T.I.A.

Tim

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 11, 2006
    depends on what you paid, what exactly the ad stated...

Also, a bit of dust on the inside won't always affect your photos. Just take a photo of a white piece of paper and have a look. That being said, I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar for one, this isn't exactly a rare lens and a sub-par item shouldn't be tolerated.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    I paid $402+13 for shipping. lens has a UV filter with it. ad stated excellent condition... nothing said about dust.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 11, 2006
    NewTekBuzz wrote:
    I paid $402+13 for shipping. lens has a UV filter with it. ad stated excellent condition... nothing said about dust.
    So when I said what I did, I should have added: I have no idea what a good price is for this lens. lol3.gif

Bottom line, however, is that you should be happy, doesn't sound like you are. You should work with the seller to make sure that happens.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    How much dust? There would have to be either some VERY large pieces of dust or a WHOLE lot of little dust specs to matter. There are two kinds of lenses: those that have dust in them and those that will have dust in them. Even weather sealed lenses get dust specs in them. It's no biggie.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    NewTekBuzz wrote:

Since you asked about price..B&H list it new for $480.05 (with shipping..to me anyway) then there is a $30.00 mail in rebate, so you're talkiing $450 new. I guess the question is, does the dust make you want to spend the extra $65? The UV filter could be a cheapo, so I have no idea what the price on that would be...so I made no comparrison there.

I have some specs in a lens, and they have been there for years. It's no big deal. I can see them when I look through the lens, but they are not in any photos, no matter what f stop I use.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    I agree that the dust is probably no biggie and probably not visible (saying this without inspecting the lens myself). In hindsight, you saved less than 10% on this used lens (given B&H's price and the rebate). Get the new one if the dust bothers you; I guess it depends on how much trouble/expense is involved in returning the eBay lens.

Sorry you're having trouble. It'll get better.

Caveat emptor.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    The dust in the lens will be out of focus enough to not be directly visible in any photo. The primary issue with dust (and all lens defects) is that they cause lens flare which results in reduced contrast. If you are using the lens primarily as a macro that isn't likely to be an issue because you won't have any light shining directly on the lens.