Arranging photos twice

DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited January 9, 2007 in SmugMug Support
A ? for ya: I've uploaded several photos today, in several upload sessions using the ol drag n drop and the smugbrowser.

In the one gallery (Friends & Family), I need to arrange new uploads. Yet, I find I have to do it twice before it takes...

Derek
http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    A ? for ya: I've uploaded several photos today, in several upload sessions using the ol drag n drop and the smugbrowser.

In the one gallery (Friends & Family), I need to arrange new uploads. Yet, I find I have to do it twice before it takes...

Derek
    Perhaps give it a minute?

And also, please state, in exact detail, the steps y ou are taking. Remember, we have several arrange tools.
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Perhaps give it a minute?

And also, please state, in exact detail, the steps y ou are taking. Remember, we have several arrange tools.

The last upload/arrange didn't require me to do it twice, but this is what I do:

Using the universal drag n drop OR the SmugBrowser to upload the photos. The only gallery I have to arrange (due to starting my smugmug site and having to upload ALL my photos from my olod site up to that point - I have to arrange new uploads as they get placed on the last page) is the Friends and Family gallery.

After the images are uploaded to this gallery, I go to the gallery and using the photo tools, I choose 'Arrange Photos'.

After the site is ready for me to arrange the photos, I go to the bottom of the thumbs to hi-light the photos I need to arrange, set to 'start' and save changes.

After which I go back to the gallery to see the changes - if any. lately the changes, even though saved, have not actually taken affect. So I re arrange. Thats when it finally gets arranged.

Dunno what happend if it was caused on my end or what. ne_nau.gif

Not a huge deal, but wondered if anyone else was having the problem (doesn't sound like it - so it must be ME!).

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• reach4urstarreach4urstar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    I'm having the exact same problem. I go to arrange photos and it doesn't take, I have to keep going back and arranging them again until it finally takes. I'm using the same steps as the user above.

Also, on my smugmug home page, I have it set by "position", but if I update any of the galleries it automatically rearranges them by the most recent and I have to go back and arrange them manually.
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
    edited December 16, 2006
    It is maddening!!!
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
    edited December 16, 2006
    It is maddening!!!

I agree it's maddening.

On that gallery, because I changed sites to smugmug, I uploaded all those photos at once, so now I have to upload new photos then arrange them as the new ones are automatically placed at the bottom.

We shouldn't have to do a step twice.

Luckly, I only have to worry about this happening with one gallery - and not all of them.

edited December 17, 2006
    Must be working now
    DJKennedy wrote:
    I agree it's maddening.

On that gallery, because I changed sites to smugmug, I uploaded all those photos at once, so now I have to upload new photos then arrange them as the new ones are automatically placed at the bottom.

We shouldn't have to do a step twice.

Luckly, I only have to worry about this happening with one gallery - and not all of them.

Lara:

I uploaded 4 photos today to the one gallery where I have to arrange the photos - and I only had to do it once wings.gif

• kamiwashkamiwash Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    I've had the same problem
    I've had this same problem when arranging photos. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I use the photo tools-> arrange this photo, and sometimes I use the photo tools-> arrange photos, and I've experienced the problem with both methods. Occasionally, if it doesn't work, I'll try again and it works, but sometimes, it doesn't work on the second try either, so I'll use the other method and it usually works. It's been happening off and on for a couple of months. It never happened once in the first year that I used smugmug, so something must have changed. Is it just a matter of patience? I'm used to seeing my changes immediately after I hit the 'save changes' button, but if I just need to wait patiently and it will eventually update, I can probably handle that.

Kami
    hananfamily.smugmug.com
  • cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    I've always had this annoying problem with SmugMug but have learned to deal with it. It seems most of the tools in photo tools take two or three times before they work. ne_nau.gif
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
    edited December 18, 2006
    cjyphoto wrote:
    I've always had this annoying problem with SmugMug but have learned to deal with it. It seems most of the tools in photo tools take two or three times before they work. ne_nau.gif

Should only take once...'maybe' twice, but more??

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    kamiwash wrote:
    I've had this same problem when arranging photos. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I use the photo tools-> arrange this photo, and sometimes I use the photo tools-> arrange photos, and I've experienced the problem with both methods. Occasionally, if it doesn't work, I'll try again and it works, but sometimes, it doesn't work on the second try either, so I'll use the other method and it usually works. It's been happening off and on for a couple of months. It never happened once in the first year that I used smugmug, so something must have changed. Is it just a matter of patience? I'm used to seeing my changes immediately after I hit the 'save changes' button, but if I just need to wait patiently and it will eventually update, I can probably handle that.

Kami
    hananfamily.smugmug.com

I've had the same problem for weeks. I really try not to push the system by rushing but still find I have to rearrange two or more times. The "arrange" button that allows me to move pictures around on a page works fine though. Is there a way to use that when you want to move pictures from page 3 to page 1?

Virginia

Email
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    Same problem
    I generally have to arrange photos at least twice, often three times before it sticks. It can be frustrating when doing a large gallery. Moving only a few images, then saving changes and going back seems to help. Still a long way around.

Wayne
    edited December 19, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    The "arrange" button that allows me to move pictures around on a page works fine though. Is there a way to use that when you want to move pictures from page 3 to page 1?

Virginia

Just move the picture to one of the first pictures and it will automatically appear on page 1.
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
    edited December 19, 2006
    Also, on my smugmug home page, I have it set by "position", but if I update any of the galleries it automatically rearranges them by the most recent and I have to go back and arrange them manually.

Anyone else having this problem? It's driving me batty.
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    same here, if I try to arrange or delete photos, I have to do it twice.
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Can you see it now?
    When I've made changes that don't seem to have taken, I check by hitting my browser's refresh button. Smugmug usually works better than cache as cache can...

Dale Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
    edited December 21, 2006
    Anyone else having this problem? It's driving me batty.

Have you set it to arrange acsending/descending?

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    I'm still having this problem and so is my buddy on a cable line, I have dsl and we have different providers as well. So I think this is a more widespread problem.

Any word on a fix???
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    The "arrange" button that allows me to move pictures around on a page works fine though. Is there a way to use that when you want to move pictures from page 3 to page 1?

Virginia

When I'm moving pictures around over multiple pages, I just change the style to "all thumbs", then it shows all my pictures at once and I can use the arrange button as usual.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography