Options

wrong file numbering - help please

NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited January 1, 2007 in Cameras
My sister and I changed memory cards just for a bit... now my camera is shooting with her numbering!! I have tried renaming the file/folders on that card but my camera will not accept. my folders were 160 - 161 - 162, hers is 342. any ideas... thanks a bunch.

PS I want to continue with my org. numbering, I dont want to reset to IMG_0000

Tim

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    A quick search would have brought up this.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    JWrightJWright Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2007
    This is a particular quirk of canon. To my horror, I discovered the same thing when I upgraded from a D60 to a 20D. Since I now use the 20D and my wife uses the D60, we have memory cards dedicated to each particular camera and we don't swap the cards from camera to camera.

If you ever are forced to swap cards, to keep from screwing up your numbering, you can format the card in your computer before inserting it in the other camera. Then format it in the camera and it should pick up the numbering sequence of the camera. Follow the same procedure when returning the card to the original camera to prevent transferring the numbering again.

Moving a card from one camera to another and formatting in the camera only will not work...
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    JWright wrote:
    If you ever are forced to swap cards, to keep from screwing up your numbering, you can format the card in your computer before inserting it in the other camera. Then format it in the camera and it should pick up the numbering sequence of the camera. Follow the same procedure when returning the card to the original camera to prevent transferring the numbering again.

Moving a card from one camera to another and formatting in the camera only will not work...
    Don't format with the PC, you could screw up the FAT. Just delete the Canon folders from the PC. The file/folder numbers are set as soon as you close the door on the card.

I keep separate sets of cards for my cameras to avoid this problem.