Focus issue-Canon rebelxt

magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited December 13, 2006 in Cameras
Ok..I am a beginner photographer and I have a canon rebelxt. For some reason I have a hard time focusing. I talked to my photographer teacher and he says that I am doing everything right. I even got new eye glasses thinking that it was my eyes. In my class there were about three other people having the same problem. So the question is..Is it the person taking the picture or is it the canon rebelxt?......I hope to hear from other canon rebel xt folks...magic widget:scratch
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Hi magicpic,

How about some example shots that are out of focus? Link them here for us, the medium or large size please.
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    You need to do test shots, but it certainly isn't unheard of. Everything is well once sent to Canon Factory Service...but the QC from the factory has been lacking in my experience.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    And please let us know what shooting modes you are using, especially what focus mode you have engaged.

When I first went to my RebelXT, I found that in auto modes and in AI modes, the camera choose focus pts that were, at the time, unpredicatable, resulting in my shots being focused on the wrong subject. Later, once I understood how these features work, I got it.

I use only the 'creative zone' (Av mostly) and "one shot" focus mode, and ensure that the focus pt is on my subject of choice.

So, before sending off your camera, put it in Av or Tv mode, choose Single shot, place the center focal pt on your subject and take the shot. Examine the photo for focus. If the focus is correctly on your subject, then sending the camera off will do little good, but perhaps practice and judicious manual reading will mwink.gif
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    When I first went to my RebelXT, I found that in auto modes and in AI modes, the camera choose focus pts that were, at the time, unpredicatable, resulting in my shots being focused on the wrong subject.

Same with me. The Rebel has a computerized focusing system that makes a decision based on 7 points of focus (or is is six?). I found it to be about 80-85% accurate. With a brief tour of the instruction manual, I learned how to turn off the 7-point sensors and activate only the single center-most sensor. For the record, you can activate any of the 7, but the center one made the most sense.

Now I just point the camera at my desired focusing point, press the shutter release half-way, recompose, and shoot. Now it's 99.9% accurate.

I also wear glasses. The last time I shot SLRs, I didn't. I prefer to shoot without glasses and set the built-in dioptric adjustment in the viewfinder. Have you tried this (if your prescription will allow)?
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Picking the center point is the right one, that's always the most sensitive & accurate one. AFAIK on all models it's the only cross-type that detects both horizontal and vertical contrast lines.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 12, 2006
    Picking the center point is the right one, that's always the most sensitive & accurate one. AFAIK on all models it's the only cross-type that detects both horizontal and vertical contrast lines.
    Yes, cross-type AF regions detect both horizontally and vertically. You can always change the orientation of a camera to improve AF sensitivity, if the subject requires, and time allows.

Canon only has a single cross type sensor for most of its cameras (including the 5D), with the newer 1D cameras having 7 cross type sensors.

(The Nikon D2 series cameras have 9 cross type sensors, for comparison.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Same with me. The Rebel has a computerized focusing system that makes a decision based on 7 points of focus (or is is six?). I found it to be about 80-85% accurate. With a brief tour of the instruction manual, I learned how to turn off the 7-point sensors and activate only the single center-most sensor. For the record, you can activate any of the 7, but the center one made the most sense.

Now I just point the camera at my desired focusing point, press the shutter release half-way, recompose, and shoot. Now it's 99.9% accurate.

I also wear glasses. The last time I shot SLRs, I didn't. I prefer to shoot without glasses and set the built-in dioptric adjustment in the viewfinder. Have you tried this (if your prescription will allow)?

I like you suggestion of try to shoot without my glasses ..I use the one center sensor focus........I will try that tomorrow...thanks magic wiget
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    magicpic wrote:
    I like you suggestion of try to shoot without my glasses ..I use the one center sensor focus........I will try that tomorrow...thanks magic wiget

If you are using a fast lens wide open, say f1.4, and are focussing and then re-composing that may do it as the DOF can be very thin. I don't know the camera but if you can select the focus point which is placed over where you want the focus to be that may help. Especially on close subjects. I use the 20D and have set the custom function so I can select the prefered focus point with the joystick. Good luck solving the problem.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... with the newer 1D cameras having 7 cross type sensors.

Great, just make me want that Mk IIn all that much more...:cry