Opening multiple photos in PS7

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited December 13, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi all,

Whenever I open a photo in PS7 I get a box saying "The document IMG-xxxx" has an embeded color profile that does not match the current RGB working space. How do you want to proceed?"
It then gives me three options. The one I have been using is the "Use the embedded profile (instead of the working space)"

Is there some way I can make this a default so I dont have to click on this box for EVERY photo I open? When opening multiple images I have to select it (or one of the other options) for every shot, which is really rather annoying, not to mention time consuming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:D

Cheers
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    The defaults are set in your Edit/Color Settings dialog box. You can turn off the warnings using the three checkboxes in the middle of the dialog box, Profile Mismatches and Missing Profiles. You only see the Missing Profiles dialog if the image has no profile (which is incidentally how smugmug tells us to save JPEGs for upload).

But you have to be sure it's going to do the right thing if those checkboxes are off. That's why it's asking you. If you turn off the warnings and it silently does the wrong conversions, you're screwed. On the other hand, if everything you do is in one color space like sRGB, you won't be screwed at all. It all comes down to the image color space vs. the default color space and which way it should go based on where the image came from.

I'll turn off the checkboxes if I'm opening a bunch of images from the same color space so I don't get the warnings, but then I'll turn them back on afterwards so I don't have nasty surprises later.

If none of that makes sense, start here (on page 2) and here, and if that's still not enough, read "Real World Color Management."
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    The defaults are set in your Edit/Color Settings dialog box. You can turn off the warnings using the three checkboxes in the middle of the dialog box, Profile Mismatches and Missing Profiles. You only see the Missing Profiles dialog if the image has no profile (which is incidentally how smugmug tells us to save JPEGs for upload).

But you have to be sure it's going to do the right thing if those checkboxes are off. That's why it's asking you. If you turn off the warnings and it silently does the wrong conversions, you're screwed. On the other hand, if everything you do is in one color space like sRGB, you won't be screwed at all. It all comes down to the image color space vs. the default color space and which way it should go based on where the image came from.

I'll turn off the checkboxes if I'm opening a bunch of images from the same color space so I don't get the warnings, but then I'll turn them back on afterwards so I don't have nasty surprises later.

If none of that makes sense, start here (on page 2) and here, and if that's still not enough, read "Real World Color Management."

Thanks very much for the tips
    :D
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D