Options

Problems with Windows Drag & Drop uploader

micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited January 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I've been trying to upload several jpg files to one of my galleries and it keeps failing, but ONLY AFTER UPLOADING 99.9% OF THE FILES! And, when the error message pops up there's no information about what the error was. Worst of all, none of the files that were 100% successfully uploaded are there!!! I selected 27 files totalling 50MB and began uploading. It ran okay for hours, and 26 of the files were successfully uploaded, but on the last file it gets almost finished and then craps out with this bogus error message. Then, the 26 files that were successfully uploaded are just gone without a trace! I performed this silly exercise twice, and both times it tied up my machine and wasted several hours of upload time for no return. It's not the size of the files because it's supposed to allow 100MB per upload, and I've successfully uploaded larger batches of files before this. Your Windows Drag & Drop batch uploader definately needs some work.

Comments

• Options
    dashphotographydashphotography Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    I had the same problem with my upload yesterday as well. It had an unknown error and everything that already had uploaded did not show up in the gallery. I'm assuming this uploader is an all or nothing type uploader?

The other thing is that I could not select all photos in my folder to upload...I guess the total file size was to big and I had to upload in I think 2 or 3 batches....which was not convient as I could not just set it and head out to the next game I had to shoot. Doing it in small chunks I did not like. Is this a limit to the way the system is set up?

Shawn

micknewton wrote:
    I've been trying to upload several jpg files to one of my galleries and it keeps failing, but ONLY AFTER UPLOADING 99.9% OF THE FILES! And, when the error message pops up there's no information about what the error was. Worst of all, none of the files that were 100% successfully uploaded are there!!! I selected 27 files totalling 50MB and began uploading. It ran okay for hours, and 26 of the files were successfully uploaded, but on the last file it gets almost finished and then craps out with this bogus error message. Then, the 26 files that were successfully uploaded are just gone without a trace! I performed this silly exercise twice, and both times it tied up my machine and wasted several hours of upload time for no return. It's not the size of the files because it's supposed to allow 100MB per upload, and I've successfully uploaded larger batches of files before this. Your Windows Drag & Drop batch uploader definately needs some work.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    I don't know about this unknown error, but I do know there is a 100mb limit, and each file must be below 8mb (I think..might be 10). There is a way to get around the 100mb limit tough. Check out the smugmug explorer sticky in the hacks forum.
    Richard
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Try SE
    and see if there is still a problem.
    If problem persists, go to the Options, check all the logging options you can and try again. At least it would tell you almost exact location of the problem.

Marlinspike, thanks for the ref:-)thumb.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dashphotographydashphotography Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Thanks I'll check these things out. Shawn.
    Thanks I'll check these things out. Shawn.

Nikolai wrote:
    and see if there is still a problem.
    If problem persists, go to the Options, check all the logging options you can and try again. At least it would tell you almost exact location of the problem.

Marlinspike, thanks for the ref:-)thumb.gif

HTH