Good technique book for someone new to DSLR?

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited December 13, 2006 in Technique
Hey all,

So as you may have noticed in my signature, I recently got my first DSLR, the Rebel XTi. I've always just been an amateur, learning as I go from my mistakes and the like (would like to take a class sometime, but that will have to wait until after my Master's coursework is done x.x)

So what is a good book that most of you would recommend to help teach me some good pointers for various sorts of photography? (Nature-> telephoto *and* macro, social events, portraits, occasional sports... basically I like shooting just about anything photographic, heh).

I want to learn the techniques needed to shoot in all the manual modes... how to properly work with RAW...how to choose the right lenses for my needs... just lots of basics I guess in general.

So throw the recommendations my way so I can start shopping for a good book :) Thanks all.

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    A good starting point frequently recommended is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I have a few of his other books & he is an excellent writer.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Go here first.
    Then look up the author Michael Freeman. He has allot of books but my personal fav of his is the Pro Digital Photographers Handbook.
    From what you need to set up a studio all the way to printing... and EVERYTHING in between... It's a GOLDMINE
    It's a good purchase instead of library book since it has great reference material. I actuall got this book from the library, held onto it for 2 months, then went out and bought it.
    Most of his other books are really good too...

Good luck searching...
  • SofiaSofia Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2006
    Hi there,
    I have the same camera as yours and it's my first DSLR too. Brian Patterson's Understanding Exposure is an excellent book and easy to understand.
    The other book will be The New Manual to Photography by Hedgecoe.
    Hope that helps,