Ansel Adams

My pics @ www.perpetualmotion.co.za

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 13, 2006
    izak-

no expert here, but a couple of comments if I may-

lovely lady, nice pose and expression and I like the lighting-

you are having some difficulties with color around the mouth and at the neck, with it looking yellowish-

I have had this happen on some portraits and am not sure why this occurs-

maybe someone on the forum can enlighten us-

best
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    i think this would be good if it wasnt so soft and if the neck wasn't yellow.
  • IzakIzak Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    i think this would be good if it wasnt so soft and if the neck wasn't yellow.
    The yellow hue is partly because a golden reflector was used the softness was completely intentional and was done with a gaussian blur overlayed layer.
    Izak van der Merwe.
    South Africa

Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready
    to have somebody click the shutter.
    Ansel Adams

edited December 13, 2006
    Izak wrote:
    The yellow hue is partly because a golden reflector was used the softness was completely intentional and was done with a gaussian blur overlayed layer.

i think the blur effect is too strong and detracts from the picture.
    i don't understand how her chest and face are not yellow/orange, but the neck is.
    edited December 13, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    i think the blur effect is too strong and detracts from the picture.
    i don't understand how her chest and face are not yellow/orange, but the neck is.

Blinghott I am very sorry that does not comply to your personal preference and taste. The client wanted it and loved it and paid for it!
    Photography is interpreted in different ways by different people and therefore there will never be one style of photography.

If you want to attack me because it does not suit YOU, then be my guest just dont expect any further reply then.
    Izak van der Merwe.
    South Africa

Ansel Adams

edited December 13, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    izak-

you are having some difficulties with color around the mouth and at the neck, with it looking yellowish-

best

Thanks for the positive comment!!:D
    Izak van der Merwe.
    South Africa

Ansel Adams

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Izak, no one is attacking you here. You posted a photo on a public photography forum, and someone gave his opinion on it. That's something you could have expected. You don't have to agree with the opinion, that's fine. If you don't want opinions, then don't post images.
    edited December 13, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Izak, no one is attacking you here. You posted a photo on a public photography forum, and someone gave his opinion on it. That's something you could have expected. You don't have to agree with the opinion, that's fine. If you don't want opinions, then don't post images.

Ivar I totally understand that. I am a moderator on two other sites and understand about critique and what goes around it.

My problem is the tone in which some people give crit. I also have read several other posts by this user and see that his style of crit really does not amuse me. There is a big difference between I don't like this and it IS too soft and in my opinion the yellowish tint on the could have been avoided by doing this or that, about the softness, not really my cup of tea.
    See what I mean?

So if he is one of you're mates and you know that he is just like that or that is just the way that e talks I apologise, if the other way around he is just another arrogant poster who thinks his own images are the best then I really do not care for his comments.

I really think DGrin is a cool community and therefore will keep on posting and enjoying the good photography here.

Regards
    Izak van der Merwe.
    South Africa

Ansel Adams

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    'Tone' is one of the most difficult things to get from a post on the net. He posted his opinion, and used 'I think ...'. Whatever other posts he made and whether his style amuses you or not, it does not matter. You agree with him or you don't.

Move on folks, nothing to see here.
    edited December 13, 2006
    Izak wrote:
    My problem is the tone in which some people give crit. I also have read several other posts by this user and see that his style of crit really does not amuse me.
    ahem, i'm right here!wave.gif
    Izak wrote:
    So if he is one of you're mates and you know that he is just like that or that is just the way that e talks I apologise, if the other way around he is just another arrogant poster who thinks his own images are the best then I really do not care for his comments.
    when i post an image, i want people to be harsh and tell me what's wrong with it. that's the reason i post here. sure, it feels nice when someone tell's me he/she likes my work, but that doesn't help me improve.

the pictures i comment on here are the ones that interest me the most. in this case, i was interested in your picture thumb.gif. since i should've been sleeping 5 hours ago, i figured a brief comment is better than no comment. if you wanted me to go into further detail and explain what i would do, i would be glad to do so. i'm only trying to help you make the best picture possible!:D
    ivar wrote:
    Move on folks, nothing to see here.
    sorry ivar, i hope my reply was not out of line.
    edited December 13, 2006
    thumb.gif Yes, that is much better!!

Always when someone crits my image I would love to know what to do to correct otherwise the only thing i learn is that my image does not doe it!

Apart from things intentionally done like the blur, which the client wanted, I would love advice, that is what I'm here for!:D
    Izak van der Merwe.
    South Africa

Ansel Adams

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    While I do see the yellow on her neck, it doesn't bother me too much or stand out too much.

I'm not a big fan of over softening, I like that you brought back detail where it was needed. I personally thing it's more suited to young babies. But I'm glad that they loved it! :D

I would love to see this in B&W. I think the softening would be more acceptible then - maybe. But it would also bring her gorgeous eyes out in a different way.

Overall, I really like it. Nice job.

ETA: I think the reason I don't like the blur too much is that she's such a pretty girl and it makes her features blur together. I do understand that it's what your client wanted, but that's why I don't think it's as strong a portrait as it could be. I would love to see it withoutthe blur!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    izak-

best

Lovely portrait...I really like the pose and her expression. I have just started portraiture too. I have experienced the same problems in the neck area and around the mouth. The mouth area I have noticed is prevelant in children's shots and I can't figure that one out. The neck generally has been exposed to less sun and is quite often a different yellowish skin color on most people, so that one doesn't surprise me. Seems to be a lighting/shadows issue but I don't know the answer to avoiding it. Sure is a bear to work with in PS.....hope someone can offer some hints :D!
    edited December 14, 2006
    Thanks for the great comment, I really think the main reason for this was the gold reflector, will use white next time!! :)
    Izak van der Merwe.
    South Africa

Ansel Adams