More Kallyn

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited December 15, 2006 in People
i'm starting to get through pictures of five different photoshoots dating back to october. here's one from my november shoot with kallyn.

i'm not sure about how i feel, what do you think?

116562970-L-3.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    From a "technical" POV, this is well done. The model is well seperated from the background, face/eyes are sharp, etc. But, you already knew all this.

I really like the effect of the selected shutter speed - there's a sense of motion/action. It makes me wonder just what she's going to do with that handful of leaves. Keeps the viewer interest.

OTOH - her interest is somewhere out of frame. That tends to disapate my interest in her and the photo just a bit. Oh, and the fence-line through her chin, for me, distracts a bit.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    I agree with Scott here. Technically this shot is well done, but the overall effect is ho-hum. She is looking out of the frame and does not engage the viewer at all. The composition is also too centered for my taste and does little to visually grab me.

You've done a lot better than this one. The motion of the leaves certainly does add some interest.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    I just wanted to concur with the others. Almost a cool shot....
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    thanks for the comments! i agree that her interest being out of the frame doesn't help. i only took about 10 pictures at this spot, and sadly this was the only decent capture. i actually find the fence more distracting than the gaze. i can probably photoshop out the whole top bar of the fence that goes through her chin.

thanks for the comments! any more would be greatly appreciated.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    thanks for the comments! i agree that her interest being out of the frame doesn't help. i only took about 10 pictures at this spot, and sadly this was the only decent capture. i actually find the fence more distracting than the gaze. i can probably photoshop out the whole top bar of the fence that goes through her chin.

thanks for the comments! any more would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO, I think if you PSed out as much of the fence as you could and the cropped so that she was at the far right of the frame looking out a larger portion of the left of the frame this would be a much stronger photo. I think in that case her gaze wouldn't be quite as distracting, but more a part of the photo. And you might start to think, "Hmmm, what is she so engrossed in." instead of, "She forgot to look at the camera."

Just my 1¢ more. :D
    edited December 14, 2006
    IMHO, I think if you PSed out as much of the fence as you could and the cropped so that she was at the far right of the frame looking out a larger portion of the left of the frame this would be a much stronger photo. I think in that case her gaze wouldn't be quite as distracting, but more a part of the photo. And you might start to think, "Hmmm, what is she so engrossed in." instead of, "She forgot to look at the camera."

Just my 1¢ more. :D

i will definitely try that. i should have enough room to put her on the far right of the frame. thanks!
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    I like the shot, but there is something that bothers me about the color. After staring at it a while, I think the problem is that pale green color of her vest loses the competition with the more saturated color of the grass. If I hold my hand over the vest, her face and her jeans look great, but viewing the whole picture it comes off flat. If you are going to spend some time in Photoshop, you might try changing the color of her vest. My first choice would be white which I think would look good and is probably easier to do than, say, bright red.

I didn't notice the fence until I read the comments about it, but I do think your idea of photoshopping out the top rail is a good one.
    edited December 15, 2006
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I like the shot, but there is something that bothers me about the color. After staring at it a while, I think the problem is that pale green color of her vest loses the competition with the more saturated color of the grass. If I hold my hand over the vest, her face and her jeans look great, but viewing the whole picture it comes off flat. If you are going to spend some time in Photoshop, you might try changing the color of her vest. My first choice would be white which I think would look good and is probably easier to do than, say, bright red.

I didn't notice the fence until I read the comments about it, but I do think your idea of photoshopping out the top rail is a good one.

thanks for the tip liquidair! you're right about the color of the vest, but i don't think i will be changing the color of it in photoshop.