Griffith Observatory Revisited

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited February 9, 2007 in Holy Macro
Had yesterday off so I revisited Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles with just a 28mm f1.8 prime to challenge myself.
C/C welcome. Whole gallery is here. http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/2086387

view of the Obs. at night from the front.
116578595-M.jpg

View West toward Pacific Ocean.
116577003-M.jpg
116577208-M.jpg

View south toward Los Angeles.
116577789-M.jpg
116578341-M.jpg

View of the Astronomers Monument.
116577585-M.jpg
116578471-M.jpg

Inside, a statue of Einstein.
116576389-M.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    wonderful series !!!clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Tee Why wrote:
    Had yesterday off so I revisited Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles with just a 28mm f1.8 prime to challenge myself.
    C/C welcome. Whole gallery is here. http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/2086387

view of the Obs. at night from the front.
    View West toward Pacific Ocean.
    View south toward Los Angeles.
    View of the Astronomers Monument.
    Inside, a statue of Einstein.

Wow what a view..... the first time I ever flew into LA I was shocked at how big it is, I mean gosh I come from a town with a population of about 9,000 people and LA just goes on forever as far as the eye can see eek7.gif

I remember saying to myself.......how the heck do these people know where to shop ???? headscratch.gif we have exactly ONE Supermarket rolleyes1.gif

The Griffin Observatory looks like a great place to visit, a very nice series of images and the views from it ........thank you for sharing.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    thanks for the comments all
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Simply Amazing!
    wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif Both the location and the photos are AMAZING! Between the observatory and the Getty Villa, I feel a road trip.wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
    edited December 13, 2006
    Sure, come on down. I'm sure it's sunnier here than there.
    :)
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Tom, awesome shots from all of your Griffith visits.

Since you have been there a few times and have shot at night and inside, perhaps you can answer a couple questions.

1) Do you need a reservation to wander around outside to shoot? I was thinking of spur of the moment things when the conditions are just right, for example after a rainstorm (if we ever get any) where the sky looks cool, etc.

2) Policy on tripods? Did you shoot with a tripod?

3) Any other photography related tips that would be useful for someone who has never been there before.

Thanks!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited February 8, 2007
    currently, you need to reserve a ticket to get on the bus to take you there. I think you can walk upto the park but not drive up there.

I doubt they allow tripods inside, outside, I used it once at night without problems.

Other tips? shoot often and try to shoot as the sunsets and the first hour after the sun has set so the sky isn't just plain boring black. Fast lenses also help for shooting inside.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Great shots! I just have to get up there one of these days! Amazing views and great colors. thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2007
    hey thanks
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Wow. Very good shots!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 9, 2007
    these are cool!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 9, 2007
    Again, thanks all. Most were from my second outing with a Sigma 28,mm f1.8. This lens isn't too popular but with a fast aperature, I was able to handhold the shots and with the small minimum focus distance and the 1:3 magnification feature, it really allows for man compositional abilities that I don't get from other lenses.

It's what I think is a sleeper lens, a great bargain at under $250 and very good optics and great magnification for lots of compositional variety.