15 year Project

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited December 28, 2006 in People
If this isn't the right place for this please move it. Just sharing a little personal story.

After my mom passed away, 20 years ago. I tried to scan a photo of her taken about 1930 or so, and have a poem, she requested be read at her funeral, included in the picture.

Well at that time I didn’t have Photoshop, and didn’t know any one who could help me. I tried to do it with word, and cheap inkjet of the day. Needless to say the project was never completed.

Fast forward to today. While culling through some files I stumbled across my earlier attempt, and knew I had the ability to complete this long lost project.

When done, I printed it out, and was determined to FINISH it even if it was less than perfect. I found a frame and again maybe not the best frame for the subject, but used it anyway. The project is done, and the photo is on the wall.

The next post will include the photo with an approximation of the frame. Thanks for listening.

Sam

This is the poem, written by Carol Merkel.

I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one

I’d like to leave an after glow of smiles when life is don

I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down theways,Of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.

I’d like the tears of those who grieve, to dry before the sun
Of happy memories that I leave when life is done.

Carol Mirkel

Eleanor M. Linville

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Here is the photo with frame.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Sam,

I like the photo and the seamless merge of background with it and the poem.

The frame is simply a mismatch. Before you jump up and down and tell me off consider these points: this is a very formal frame. Perhaps good for a diploma or some other document but not for such beautiful artwork and it certainly is at adds with the poem. There is nothing happy or reminescing about it.

Looking at what you've done with the art I know you can do a lot better with the frame too.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Beautiful. Beautiful poem, photo and woman!

And a beautiful story. I'm so glad you were able to finish your project!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Let me express my view in the in the same tone of caring Ted used; I have to agree with him. The artwork and the poem are wonderful. The final treatment, the frame, should be as well.
    edited December 13, 2006
    Ted, and Scott, you’re right about the frame. I was just is such a rush to hang it on the wall, and I had the frame in the house. I would never consider telling you off because you gave me an honest opinion! We need honest opinions here.

I will probably need a little help on that. All the framing I do on my photos is with a white, or black mat. I use the Nielsen anodized aluminum frames. You can choose any color frame you want as long as it's black. But I think this approach while good for most photographs is to ridge and cold for this one. So if any one has any ideas for a mat, and frame let me know.

Thanks,

Sam
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    I have no suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I think it's beautiful Sam.
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    Somber, but celebratory - classic, but contemporary.

A very fitting tribute looking at the smile in the photo and the words on the page.

Very well done.
    --Kres
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 14, 2006
    That's beautiful Sam!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I will probably need a little help on that. All the framing I do on my photos is with a white, or black mat. I use the Nielsen anodized aluminum frames. You can choose any color frame you want as long as it's black. But I think this approach while good for most photographs is to ridge and cold for this one. So if any one has any ideas for a mat, and frame let me know.

Thanks,

Sam
    When I have serious framing requirements (and, in my book, this certainly qualifies), I take the work the the professionals. For me, there's a shop in town that does wonderful work. They spend the time to talk with you about what you want to see or the concept or whatever it takes to get the job done right.

There is probably such talent amungst us DGrinners and you will certainly get many good ideas. Take those ideas to a pro and let them run with it. In the long run, think you will be better served by doing it this way.
  • dotozmdotozm Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    What a wonderful tribute.

In the ultimate compliment, I would like to copy your idea for my sister that passed away five years ago (my 5 year project). One of her friends wrote a eulogy for her that lists the things she learned from my sister. It is a list that you go from laughing to crying and back again as you go down the list. I have been collecting pictures from all of my family members but not sure what to do with them. Now I know.

Godspeed
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 14, 2006
    Sam:

This is a lovely project and a warm and meaningful sentiment.

I'd like to echo the comments on the frame and add one more suggestion.

But first, the frame...
    If this were my project I would choose a black wood frame, maybe 1 x 1 1/2, with an oyster and white double matte. Do you have Aaron Brothers stores up in SJ? If so, their selections are pretty nice and reasonably priced. They'll even do the framing for you.

Now the other suggestion: I presume Eleanor was your mom's name? I would place it on the matte itself. This is a traditional approach and can be very nice and will seperate her name from the poem. You can choose to etch it or engrave it, or simply use calligraphy.

Good luck.
    edited December 15, 2006
    dotozm,

Feel free to use the idea. I am pleased you like it.

Angelo,

Great idea on the framing, (I am writtting your ideas down) and yes there is an Aaron Brothers very near to my house. I don't normally buy too much from them just because I get better quality, and 2/3 ratio, as well as custom sizes online. But I specifically designed this at 8" X 10 planning to pick up a frame locally.

Is there a standard way / place to have a name engraved on the matt?

Sam
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 15, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    dotozm,

Feel free to use the idea. I am pleased you like it.

Angelo,

Great idea on the framing, (I am writtting your ideas down) and yes there is an Aaron Brothers very near to my house. I don't normally buy too much from them just because I get better quality, and 2/3 ratio, as well as custom sizes online. But I specifically designed this at 8" X 10 planning to pick up a frame locally.

Is there a standard way / place to have a name engraved on the matt?

Sam

buddy, if you were close I'd do it for you. Ask the guys at Aaron Brothers. They may have someone on staff who can do calligraphy.

Another approach is a small engraved silver plate that you can glue to the matte. I would recommend Sign-A-Rama, there's one in SJ. A small plate like this might cost you $15-$25 (?)
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Sam...absolutely beautiful...great job...your mother is smiling down at you right now...iloveyou.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 16, 2006
    Sam,

I hope you don't mind, I took some of the ideas others have discussed, applied a bit of my own ideas, and came up with the following:

(Museum matte, mother's name on a brass plate, larger, dark wood frame. I'll remove if you wish.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 22, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sam,

I hope you don't mind, I took some of the ideas others have discussed, applied a bit of my own ideas, and came up with the following:

(Museum matte, mother's name on a brass plate, larger, dark wood frame. I'll remove if you wish.)

ziggy53

Of course I don't mind. I am honored you would take the time. Very nicely done.

Thank you!

Sam
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 23, 2006
    a beautiful tribute to the memory of your mother-

nicely done-
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    To echo others comments I have to say as well very nicely done.

Its been quite a while since I've visited this site, over a year in fact, a freind on a local BMW board pointed me to this post as it is in a similar vain to a project I have been working on for a while now.

Without seeming to hijack this thread I find it interesting that someone else has worked an idea similar to mine. As I have really started to put some effort into my photography and writing since starting my web site in 03 (now that I have the time for such projects!) I started to combine the two, finding images that inspired a poem or visa versa. My last attempt was similar to this in that I merged the two together into a single image instead of as with my prior attempts they were simply word documents with included photo.

Hope you find other subjects to continue your project, it can be quite challanging but very satisfying when it clicks.

here's my latest

tree-2-mod1-4web.jpg

there is more on my web site at roadrunes.com under the subheading writings then Images on Words.

Again bravo on your effort, it does your mother justice, of that I am sure.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D