43 tries...

kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
edited December 15, 2006 in Sports
I was privilaged enough to shoot a KTM Adventure Tour Enduro Clinic last week. Here is the link to a few of the unprocessed shots.

However the real story is the picture below. I got this idea in my head about getting a shot that had the KTM banner in the background, a sharp focus on the side of the bike and, and rear wheel spinning back up after a controlled slide. The less cropping the better. So I watched each rider that was on a KTM and tried to time the shot...

again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again...

It was getting so I had my primary camera up for catching "candid" shots, and as soon as a rider would start his close turn I'd drop the primary and sling up the secondary that I had exposure and focus locked. I almost gave up... but I managed to get the shot I wanted 43 tries later.

116014590-L.jpg

I started to feel like an idiot trying the same shot again and again, but I'm quite pleased with the RAW (so to speak) result. :ivar
--Kres

Comments

• controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    That is dedication! Helps keep thhe perspective on how many shots are on the "digital darkroom floor" for every great one we see up here though. I was shooting a couple friends in a triathlon this summer and I spent about 20 mins and 50-60 riders getting the side panning shot I wanted perfected before they started coming by. I hope the first bunch weren't too dissapointed that there were no side on shots on the official event photographers after the race - they seemed to enjoy hamming for the shot!

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Some times what you want does not always get the cooperation from the subject. But persistance always pays off. Great shoot. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 15, 2006
    patience is a virtue :D

nicely demonstrated!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?