Options

tri-x, street photography

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 6, 2005 in Landscapes
well, wouldn't you know it, i found some more outdated kodak tri-x pan film in the storage closet. i'm happy to report that i'm able to get it stuffed into my canon 1Ds Mark II without any difficulty :lol3

for a short tute on this technique, take a look at this thread

13637212-L.jpg

shot this morning, around 7am on 24th street near fifth avenue. shot at iso 800 with my 1Ds Mark II, 85mm f/1.8 aboard.

enjoy (using up that old film) photography,

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, wouldn't you know it, i found some more outdated kodak tri-x pan film in the storage closet. i'm happy to report that i'm able to get it stuffed into my canon 1Ds Mark II without any difficulty lol3.gif

13637212-Ti.jpg

shot this morning, around 7am on 24th street near fifth avenue. shot at iso 800 with my 1Ds Mark II, 85mm f/1.8 aboard.

great shot... film?? as in like film film??
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    great shot... film?? as in like film film??

lynnie, have that 2nd cuppa, willya? it's a photoshop technique, check the link i left in the original post deal.gif

ps: what's in your hand? enquiring minds want to know ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, wouldn't you know it, i found some more outdated kodak tri-x pan film in the storage closet. i'm happy to report that i'm able to get it stuffed into my canon 1Ds Mark II without any difficulty lol3.gif

13637212-S.jpg

I have been trying to do a "series", a "project", where I take my landscapes like Shem Creek or the beach, and I put them in black and white. Do you consider that street photography, pictures with people, so to speak, are the most worthy subjects for this thing?

I am going to continue my project, slowly, and I am going to reread your tutorial and reprint it. I guess I will wait till after that to comment again, actually use it on a landscape. I have been very surprised at how good some of the photos look in black and white as well as in color: sunsets mostly.

Sometimes I want to tone it, use sepia, and I do. I have even tried to get two tones in (without the work of reading) by using selective color. Fun.

I really like your shot from this AM, I assume that part was factual. I was sleeping. The weather is beautiful here, at least it is very clear.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lynnie, have that 2nd cuppa, willya? it's a photoshop technique, check the link i left in the original post deal.gif

ps: what's in your hand? enquiring minds want to know ne_nau.gif
    Oh right... gottcha... thought I was losing it.. (I am).. it's a five pound weight..
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Andy, I just printed out the tri-X instructions, AGAIN, never know where I put this stuff.......

Anyway, this is the one where you use selective color. You did not use selective color this AM, was there a reason for that, etc.
    What exactly distinguishes this from other black and white? The noise?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The noise?

ginger
    nod.gif

Andy, I must say you have a very discerning eye. Which is my way of saying that I can't really see the tri-X effect in this shot. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    thanks sid! ...
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif

Andy, I must say you have a very discerning eye. Which is my way of saying that I can't really see the tri-X effect in this shot. ne_nau.gif

i pass by this "stand pipe" every day. four months ago, i saw the same scene, but for a variety of reasons, i couldn't get the shot... ok ok i was stuffing my face with a dirty water hotdog (with 'kraut and mustard) and i just couldn't get to my camera in time.l

i've patiently waited for the right guy to be sitting on this "standpipe" and today seemed to be right :D

thanks so much for the very kind words!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Oooh, that pipe looks uncomfortable!
    andy wrote:
    i pass by this "stand pipe" every day. four months ago, i saw the same scene, but for a variety of reasons, i couldn't get the shot... ok ok i was stuffing my face with a dirty water hotdog (with 'kraut and mustard) and i just couldn't get to my camera in time.l

i've patiently waited for the right guy to be sitting on this "standpipe" and today seemed to be right :D

thanks so much for the very kind words!
    That's a cool shot. The reflection is a nice addition. The graininess of the Tri-X effect adds a lot of texture to it and makes it more interesting. I just feel sorry for that man sitting on that pipe.mwink.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, I just printed out the tri-X instructions, AGAIN, never know where I put this stuff.......

Anyway, this is the one where you use selective color. You did not use selective color this AM, was there a reason for that, etc.
    What exactly distinguishes this from other black and white? The noise?

ginger
    hiya ginger

well, tri-x asa 1600 could be pretty grainy, and my example in the tutorial (the yellow rat bastard shot) even tries to show the effects of outdated asa 1600 film where the emulsion kinda got all "clumpy" :D

thanks for stopping by and for the comments!

andy
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    That's a cool shot. The reflection is a nice addition. The graininess of the Tri-X effect adds a lot of texture to it and makes it more interesting. I just feel sorry for that man sitting on that pipe.mwink.gif

well, snappy, he was there a half-hour later when i walked by again :D so i guess he didn't mind lol3.gif

thanks for the comment, and telling me how the photo made you feel.

cheers