#80 1st attempt

salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited December 23, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
nOOb here. Does this say "Machinery" to anyone? CC welcome. Taken today 14/12/2006 8:32 AM
Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    #80 2nd attempt
    nOOb here. Does this say "Machinery" to anyone? CC welcome. Taken today 14/12/2006 11:33 AM Canon PoweShot A430 1/8 sec. F2.8
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • garfonzogarfonzo Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    salazar wrote:
    nOOb here. Does this say "Machinery" to anyone? CC welcome. Taken today 14/12/2006 8:32 AM

hmmm... not so much. Between this and your second attempt, I think the second attempt captures more of the "machine" feel. This just looks like a bus on jacks.

garfonzo

:ivar
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2006
    welcome aboard salazar wave.gif

I combined your 2 threads into 1 since you are in the early phases of selecting a shot - will make it easier for others to comparatively comment, and for you to keep track of.

Also, are you hosting your images anywhere (smugmug, maybe)? The attachment process butchers the quailty. Linking to photos is a far better way of showing off the good stuff.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I would say, give it another attempt. Both pictures here show machinery, but both lack crisp photo qualities - composition, light, etc.
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    the bus
    1st shot kind of - no,not quite. 2nd shot much closer. Maybe spend some more time at the repair shop, something great sure to appear.
    edited December 16, 2006
    DoctorIt, thanks for rearranging the two threads into one. That does make more sense. And no I don't have online hosting anywhere yet except Google's PicassaWeb and I can't work out a way to get photos to link from there properly. I've only just decided to try submitting stuff so I haven't jumped in with both feet yet.

I thought I'd find more at the the repair garages but it's kind of a hit or miss thing, depending on what the've got in. And I do have to work with "found light" there so I don't get too much in their way. I do think the second was more to the point and it is sharper in the original, DoctorIt is right, the attachment downsizing "butchers the quality". Oh well...

garfonzo, navalarez & shoppix, thanks for the honest evaluation. I'll keep my eyes open.
    edited December 17, 2006
    17 Jewels
    I'm off in another direction now. What do you think?
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    salazar wrote:
    I'm off in another direction now. What do you think?

not sure if it yells machinery to me but what do i know. love the shot though. very nicely done.

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I think your on the right track. I would try the first one in B/W... the second go in closer to the gears with macro (if you have the lens for it).
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I like this picture...I like that touch of purple and I like the lighting you have...to improve it though and make it more visually appealing you have to attack it from a different angle...The shot is straight on, and while it shows all the gears its not as appealing as something shot from an angle that you at first wouldn't have thought of.
    Good work my Ken,
    Had a good laugh at your display pic. Very you, interesting choice. ;)
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
    edited December 20, 2006
    3 more for your consideration, #1
    Thank you for the suggestions, Alkhemist and thegreenegg (note to thegreenegg, had that display picture professionally done ;): Here's a few from other angles, do they seem to have more impact?
    edited December 20, 2006
    For your consideration #2
    edited December 20, 2006
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Of your most resent ones I would choose #1, however I would crop more of the gold case from off the top...too distracting. The lighting you have on this watch is great. Here I cropped it a just a tad...See if you like the difference.
    Ashely
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com