Duplicate file upload question

SameritechSameritech Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited July 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Sorry if this question has already been answered. I didn't find it in any thread searches.

One annoying feature I've noticed since my trial sub. started was duplicate files can be uploaded to the same gallery. For example, I was uploading a big folder of files into a new gallery. At some point the upload stopped and I didn't know which photo it left off at. So I thought I could just re-upload all the photos into the same gallery and Smug would just overwrite the photos with the same file name and add the ones that weren't there. Much to my surprise, I now had a gallery filled with duplicate files. It was way too much work to try and determine which photos were duplicates and delete them individually so I had to delete the entire gallery and upload all over again.

Does Smugmug not know which files have already been uploaded to a gallery so useres don't upload duplicate files? I mention this because Flickr did recognize this when I tested it in their system.

Is there anyway around this or do I just need to be more careful about what I upload and where?

Thanks,
Sameritech

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    Sameritech wrote:
    Sorry if this question has already been answered. I didn't find it in any thread searches.

One annoying feature I've noticed since my trial sub. started was duplicate files can be uploaded to the same gallery. For example, I was uploading a big folder of files into a new gallery. At some point the upload stopped and I didn't know which photo it left off at. So I thought I could just re-upload all the photos into the same gallery and Smug would just overwrite the photos with the same file name and add the ones that weren't there. Much to my surprise, I now had a gallery filled with duplicate files. It was way too much work to try and determine which photos were duplicates and delete them individually so I had to delete the entire gallery and upload all over again.

Does Smugmug not know which files have already been uploaded to a gallery so useres don't upload duplicate files? I mention this because Flickr did recognize this when I tested it in their system.

Is there anyway around this or do I just need to be more careful about what I upload and where?

Thanks,
    Sameritech

Hi Sameritech, welcome to SmugMug! Can you let us know your sitename, and also the uploader you were using. It'll help as far as possible options.

Thanks!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    Sameritech wrote:

Thanks,
    Sameritech
    Ugh! don't delete all, just do a quick sort by filename and go to bulk delete
    under photo tools. There you will see all thumbs with the file names of each
    and you can easily select the dups to delete. You will also see all the file
    names uploaded so you can tell where to start the new upload.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • SameritechSameritech Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    The sitename is http://sameritech.smugmug.com/

I was using the Send To Smugmug application I found at
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps

Are there better upload options for larger file folders that won't allow duplicate files to be uploaded?

Thanks,
    Sameritech
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Sameritech wrote:
    The sitename is http://sameritech.smugmug.com/

I was using the Send To Smugmug application I found at
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps

Are there better upload options for larger file folders that won't allow duplicate files to be uploaded?

Thanks,
    Sameritech

Hi, as Allen said, sort the gallery by filename and you can quickly see if there are dupes.
  • edmaineedmaine Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, as Allen said, sort the gallery by filename and you can quickly see if there are dupes.

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I'm a beginner here.

What is the uploader that will work that will not upload duplicate files? I just tried it with a simple uploader and it did not even blink, it just accepted the duplicate file.

I'm in the same boat as the original poster, im trying to upload a bunch of photos but it got interrupted the other day when there was that issue with SM, and now it's so annoying to go through the 1000's of pics to find out which one has been uploaded or not.

Thanks again!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    edmaine wrote:
    Sorry if this is an old topic, but I'm a beginner here.

What is the uploader that will work that will not upload duplicate files? I just tried it with a simple uploader and it did not even blink, it just accepted the duplicate file.

I'm in the same boat as the original poster, im trying to upload a bunch of photos but it got interrupted the other day when there was that issue with SM, and now it's so annoying to go through the 1000's of pics to find out which one has been uploaded or not.

Thanks again!
    You could bring up the delete photos page and do a "select all", copy, then
    paste into notepad and you'll have a listing of all filenames upploaded.

I usually paste into Excel so I can sort it. And add a formula to find dups.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • edmaineedmaine Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    You could bring up the delete photos page and do a "select all", copy, then
    paste into notepad and you'll have a listing of all filenames upploaded.

I usually paste into Excel so I can sort it. And add a formula to find dups.

wow! is that the only way?
    If it was a couple of hundred pics, I probably would do it that way, but for a couple of thousands, that is a little bit time consuming...

so there are no uploaders that has a duplicate check existing at this point in time?

thanks for the suggestion though Allen, I might end up doing that if all else fails... :(