#80 - Retired Machinery

Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited December 23, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, one of these might be my first challenge entry. I took these on 12/11/06. These pics definitely show machinery but I thought that the parts were more interesting than the whole. I think that shooting too wide would lose details of the subject. Any advice or opinions?

BTW, can anyone guess what this machinery did? At one time I was going to reassemble and restore it but it is way too weathered to be functional (and dangerous) :D

Pic #1 - Retired Machinery

116490503-L.jpg

Pic #2 - Retired Machinery close-up

116690608-L.jpg

Comments

• rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I think I like the composition of the second picture better...the first one appears to be more cluttered in my opinion...

Good shot.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    rgbivens wrote:
    I think I like the composition of the second picture better...the first one appears to be more cluttered in my opinion...

Good shot.

-Grant

Hi Grant,
    I agree with your comment about being less cluttered.
    Thanks for the input.
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I also like #2 better, but am left wanting a bit more context for what it is.
    edited December 15, 2006
    nalvarez wrote:
    I also like #2 better, but am left wanting a bit more context for what it is.

Thanks for the comment. Here is some info on what this is. :D

The equipment is an antique saw mill that was once driven by a canvas belt possibly powered from a tractor pulley. The drive system powered a circular saw blade and a geared log feeding ramp. The system has been disassembled for a long time. The pictures show the main transmission section with pulley wheels, canvas belt, and various adjustment devices, best guess probably built in the early 1900's.
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    I guess I'm the odd one out on this one.. I like the first one better. I don't see it as cluttered but as a way to get into the part of the photo that is the focus. I like the fact that the wood beams frame the more apparent 'machinery' in the photo and it gives a little more context as to what it is. If it were me I would enter the first one...more visual interest. My .02 :D dizzy
    edited December 16, 2006
    Dizzy wrote:
    I guess I'm the odd one out on this one.. I like the first one better. I don't see it as cluttered but as a way to get into the part of the photo that is the focus. I like the fact that the wood beams frame the more apparent 'machinery' in the photo and it gives a little more context as to what it is. If it were me I would enter the first one...more visual interest. My .02 :D dizzy

Very good comments Dizzy. I might also try a re-shoot from a different POV. You've got me thinking again. Thanks for your .02 :D
  • AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I like the first one. Maybe crop the top 1/5 to direct the view to the gears. B/W fits perfectly for the subject.
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
    edited December 21, 2006
    Alkhemist wrote:
    I like the first one. Maybe crop the top 1/5 to direct the view to the gears. B/W fits perfectly for the subject.

Hi Alkhemist,

I experimented per your suggestion and liked the results. Thanks for your C&C

118203984-L.jpg
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    The cropped version is much stronger. thumb.gifthumb

Virginia

Email
    edited December 21, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    The cropped version is much stronger. thumb.gifthumb

Virginia

Thanks Virginia. Pic submitted :ivar