Picture Styles Question

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited December 15, 2006 in Technique
I'm going to be shooting a xmas party Fri night. The organizers requested some old Hollywood-type portraits of the couples in black and white. I will be using a Rebel Xti and a [FONT=&quot]Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS [/FONT][FONT=&quot]USM.

They don't want me to do any work on the photos. Just shoot em, burn em onto a CD at the end of the party, and give me a check. Based upon tests here in my house, it looks like I can get a fairly decent old-style B&W look with the monochrome picture style with no extra lighting beside the onboard flash. But I have a question.

Is there any way to create a custom picture style using the Portrait style as a starting point, and the only change being to monochrome? Yes, I know only lazy people and newbies use the picture styles, so please don't jump me about that. But since I am not doing any post work on the photos, I would like to get a portrait look, with the monochrome coloring.

Any advice? Thanks for anything you can think of.
[/FONT]
I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I know there are custom picture styles you can create. 1 is already monochrome, did you not like that one? You could either tweak the pre-existing monochrome style, or play w/ one of the three user defined options and make it to suite your needs. Exactly how you go about making your own though is not something I'm familiar with, I just know you do it in the menu and change the picture style by hitting the middle button when you're in shooting mode. (I too have an XTi, but am still rather new to it)