Options

DxO Optics Pro, anybody tried it?

kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited January 8, 2005 in Finishing School
winner of the popular science magazine best of whats new: DxO Optics Pro, available for the Sony 828 as well as a bunch of DSLR's. has anyone tried it? your conclusions? i dont have the 828 to try it, but they have a free download so you can try it out. http://www.dxo.com

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    I'll give it a try
    kudbegud wrote:
    winner of the popular science magazine best of whats new: DxO Optics Pro, available for the Sony 828 as well as a bunch of DSLR's. has anyone tried it? your conclusions? i dont have the 828 to try it, but they have a free download so you can try it out. http://www.dxo.com

Thanks for the info. I've been vaguely aware of this software, but now that it's available for the 828 I'll give it a try. I use spherize quite a bit to fix photos, but it's always hit or miss.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    kudbegud wrote:

I demoed it before they had RAW support, and thought it was great. I tried to demo the RAW version, but the previous demo I had run had timed out, and I couldn't get the new one to run. Been too lazy to contact them to work that out so I could demo it again.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I demoed it before they had RAW support, and thought it was great. I tried to demo the RAW version, but the previous demo I had run had timed out, and I couldn't get the new one to run. Been too lazy to contact them to work that out so I could demo it again.

Well, you know how much our mutual friend Markus likes it for his Nikon.

What I noted is that you have to buy the one for the camera body and then the one for each lens. Unlike Nik Multimedia's plugin Dfine where you buy the basic program (regardless of body) and then the module for the camera.

It stops me, as I expect to get a 20D or MK 2, don't want to spend the money on the body version just to change shortly.

Lynne
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    interesting
    Lynn....i have define and neat image, both work but differently. this one looks like it has a few other features that could be interesting if mastered. thanks for all the input !
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    kudbegud wrote:
    Lynn....i have define and neat image, both work but differently. this one looks like it has a few other features that could be interesting if mastered. thanks for all the input !

I was only commenting about the business model, not that they are in any way comparable products. There's a certain amount of overlap with PS CS if you're shooting RAW, since you can adjust for vignetting in the RAW converter.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    DxO has teamed up with Texas Instrument
    They are marketing a chip for the next generation of cameras to do all corrections internally.

Wouldn't THAT be grandclap.gif .