Selling Prints Professionally Framed from Smugmug

03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited February 3, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Greetings everyone.

My dad wanted me to inquire here and see if anyone is or ever has sold their prints with professional framing included in the price or added later.

We were wondering how one would go about pricing or really the process involved.

I would think the process would go like this:

1. Customer orders the print from smugmug. We could have the print shipped to us, not to the customer. (how should we go about that shipping part, and just how are large prints shipped? In a tube?)

2. We have the print professionally framed.

3. Charge the customer for the framing and shipping.

4. Ship the nice framed print to the customer.

Might be something that smugmug would consider doing along with the prints from ezprints. Perhaps partnering with a professional framing company. Allowing the frames and mattes to be selected and paid for all at smugmug? Would certainly generate more dollars for smugmug.:thumb But perhaps it might not be worth the extra troubles.

Thoughts anyone? Thoughts Smugmug?
Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
www.charlesawardphotography.com
cward.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Prints 8x10 and larger are shipped in Tubes.

Frames are an option we're looking into - it's on my list - but I can't tell you if/when :D
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I see this pop up from time and time again, people wanting to sell framed prints directly to the customer. I guess I don't get it myself. A frame and matte, to me, are rather personal. Different people want different things in a frame, they have different decorating styles, etc. etc. etc.

An internet company a few years back tried this. usa-pics.com I think was the company, but I could be wrong. They sold framed photography from photographers all around the country. They went down in flames pretty quick.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • 03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    A frame and matte, to me, are rather personal. Different people want different things in a frame, they have different decorating styles, etc. etc. etc.

I agree with you 100%. I was just wondering if there is a company out there that would do it (or perhaps a smugmug partner).

If the customer had all of the choices at hand, i.e. different styles colors of frames and mattes available to see and choose, I think they could put something together that would suite their individual decorating styles.

Getting custom prints framed and shipped from an internet supplier is certainly not everyone's bag, but for some it might be an easy way to give a gift. I know I certainly hate shopping at the mall, I buy most things online. I could definately see a market for this service.

I'm sure it will never make or break a sale, but it might be a nice additional feature sometime down the road.
    Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
    www.charlesawardphotography.com
    cward.smugmug.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Prints 8x10 and larger are shipped in Tubes.

Is this new? 8x10's used to come in flat cardboard mailers. I haven't ordered one of my prints for a while now though-- and I'm just curious how customers are recieving them.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Frames are an option we're looking into - it's on my list - but I can't tell you if/when :D

If SM were to partner, please check out Americanframe.com. The site has an excellent interface for selecting matte and frame for any size print. Good selection and prices too.
  • savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    If SM were to partner, please check out Americanframe.com. The site has an excellent interface for selecting matte and frame for any size print. Good selection and prices too.

I get my frames from them, great site.
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Is this new? 8x10's used to come in flat cardboard mailers. I haven't ordered one of my prints for a while now though-- and I'm just curious how customers are recieving them.

I just ordered an 8x10 last week and it came flat.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
    edited December 16, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Sorry, I meant to say 10x10s and larger.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Interesting thread. I've been shooting portraits for family and friends and I often wonder if I should supply frames. Mainly because when I go back to their location later, I see unframed prints standing up on their dressers, etc... ne_nau.gif They want frames but just don't take the time to go buy them.... The picture isn't a necessity until they see the print. After they see it and like it then they want to buy it and copies for everyone in it.
    I'm assuming then a frame isn't a necessity until they see a frame.
    Since I shoot at their location, I already have a feel for what kind of frame styles and colors they are using. I'd just be worried about frame damage during shipping.

My 8 x 10's have come flat. Larger than that have come in tubes.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • kimkphotoskimkphotos Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    A framing and matting service would be a welcome addition to my smugmug site. With all the crazy sizes we can offer our customers, I think it would make their lives easier if they could buy a custom mat and frame to go with the print through our pro accounts. I ordered a 10 x15 inch print from my site, not considering the fact that most craft stores don't carry that size mat. What would a customer do in this situation? They probably wouldn't even consider it, like me. If they were hoping to just pop it in a frame with a standard size mat, um? I happen to have a mat cutter and customized a mat to fit a standard sized frame. Yes, I could offer standard sizes only but, what's the point in having so many options if we still have to rely on standard sizes? The few prints I have sold to friends and family have come back to me to be framed and matted anyway. I think the average person would rather have a finished product arrive on their doorstep, ready to hang.
    Another great idea would be to integrate paypal into the smugmug pro sites so that we who have the ability to offer custom framing can easily set it up. I know this should go into another thread...just saying.
    edited January 27, 2011
    kimkphotos wrote: »
    A framing and matting service would be a welcome addition to my smugmug site. With all the crazy sizes we can offer our customers, I think it would make their lives easier if they could buy a custom mat and frame to go with the print through our pro accounts. I ordered a 10 x15 inch print from my site, not considering the fact that most craft stores don't carry that size mat. What would a customer do in this situation? They probably wouldn't even consider it, like me. If they were hoping to just pop it in a frame with a standard size mat, um? I happen to have a mat cutter and customized a mat to fit a standard sized frame. Yes, I could offer standard sizes only but, what's the point in having so many options if we still have to rely on standard sizes? The few prints I have sold to friends and family have come back to me to be framed and matted anyway. I think the average person would rather have a finished product arrive on their doorstep, ready to hang.
    Another great idea would be to integrate paypal into the smugmug pro sites so that we who have the ability to offer custom framing can easily set it up. I know this should go into another thread...just saying.

Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request. If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://feedback.smugmug.com

Thanks!
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I use Adoramapix for wedding guest books (of e-session photos), and I remember them sending out e-mails about offering framed photographic prints a while back.