Options

Q for SE users: is your preview blurry?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
I stumbled upon a nasty effect of some pictures always showng blurry in the preview. So far it was only images that were processed with irfan.
I got some samples of those from rainforest (thanks, Sebastian!:thumb ).
If you also observe this effect, please point me to the link where I can get that picture. One "per tool" should be plenty. You can mention it here, send me a PM or email it to smugmugexplorer@photosocal.com.
I appreciate your help!
TIA
Cheers!:1drink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I stumbled upon a nasty effect of some pictures always showng blurry in the preview. So far it was only images that were processed with irfan.
    I got some samples of those from rainforest (thanks, Sebastian!thumb.gif ).
    Looks I wasn't clear enough in my mail. PS 6.01 seems to be responsable, because the effect already appeared there and then I resized them with Irfan.

Pictures straight out of the camera and resized with Irfan don't have the blur problem.

My mails to you concerning SE are most of the time developing while I'm writing them, because I always discover new things while trying to describe something to you. :D

Hope this clears things up.
    Bye,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    Oh, so they are not anymore?
    Looks I wasn't clear enough in my mail. PS 6.01 seems to be responsable, because the effect already appeared there and then I resized them with Irfan.

Pictures straight out of the camera and resized with Irfan don't have the blur problem.

My mails to you concerning SE are most of the time developing while I'm writing them, because I always discover new things while trying to describe something to you. :D

Hope this clears things up.
    Bye,
    Sebastian
    'cuz those pikchas you pointed me too definitely show that effect..
    Anyway, if it's not a concern for anybody, including you - I won't bother either:-)
    Thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Hmm, let's try again
    Nikolai wrote:
    'cuz those pikchas you pointed me too definitely show that effect..
    Anyway, if it's not a concern for anybody, including you - I won't bother either:-)
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    The pictures still have that effect, I just wanted to clear up that PS is to blame and not Irfan. deal.gif
    After saving the pictures with PS, which introduced the effect, resizing with Irfan just keeps the blurryness.
    When resizing pictures straight of the camera with Irfan, everything is just alright.

So somewhere there is an incompatibility between the way PS 6.01 saves and your GDI preview shows it.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Bye,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Oh, ah c :-)
    The pictures still have that effect, I just wanted to clear up that PS is to blame and not Irfan. deal.gif
    After saving the pictures with PS, which introduced the effect, resizing with Irfan just keeps the blurryness.
    When resizing pictures straight of the camera with Irfan, everything is just alright.

So somewhere there is an incompatibility between the way PS 6.01 saves and your GDI preview shows it.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Bye,
    Sebastian
    I guess it's probably a time for you to join the millenium and get yourself PS CS:-)
    JK:-)
    Thank you for the clarification!thumb.gif
    And my question stands: does anybody else see this effect?
    If yes - what software was in use?
    TIA

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess it's probably a time for you to join the millenium and get yourself PS CS:-)
    JK:-)
    Yeah sure I would if somebody would pay for it. Good idea, who's going to give me some money that I can join the millenium?! :D
    Just bought PS6 for about 50$ and so there's no money left for an upgrade. :cry

BTW: Does JK mean joke?

That was enough OT, so I'm off for now. 1drink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    JK = just kidding
    BTW: Does JK mean joke?
    yessir!:D
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    infa
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?postid=46394#post46394 also

dog from my new challenge shot i just read this again and i think you only wanted smugs but infa does this here also.
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Errh..
    jwear wrote:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?postid=46394#post46394 also

dog from my new challenge shot i just read this again and i think you only wanted smugs but infa does this here also.
    Jeff, thanks, but.. that's a bmp. headscratch.gif
    Are you saying it shows as a blurry image in SE's preview?? I thought in only happens with more complicated formats (jpeg/tiff/etc)..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    When I save the picture from his thread, IE asks me if I want to save it as _DSC000912.jpg or as bmp. Tried both and the jpg is indeed blurry.

@Jeff: Question is what program did you use to edit the image? The picture says PS Elements 3. Did you use something else on this pic?

If not it supports my PS-producing-blurry-pictures point! deal.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Are you saying it shows as a blurry image in SE's preview?? I thought in only happens with more complicated formats (jpeg/tiff/etc)..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    se,s preview meaning smugs edit?? i take jpeg from elements resize in infa and try to post sometimes works well sometimes i can not get it to 117 .I get a pic thats not as clean as mine at home ?and i am very new so whats bmp ? i thought that was a format and i am thinking mine are jpeg s
    Jeff W

• Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    When I save the picture from his thread, IE asks me if I want to save it as _DSC000912.jpg or as bmp. Tried both and the jpg is indeed blurry.

@Jeff: Question is what program did you use to edit the image? The picture says PS Elements 3. Did you use something else on this pic?

If not it supports my PS-producing-blurry-pictures point! deal.gif
    no just elements save in pics in documents and resize set by step and if its not 117 by the time you get to 800 it just gets bad Jeff
    Jeff W

• Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    I'm lost
    jwear wrote:
    se,s preview meaning smugs edit?? i take jpeg from elements resize in infa and try to post sometimes works well sometimes i can not get it to 117 .I get a pic thats not as clean as mine at home ?and i am very new so whats bmp ? i thought that was a format and i am thinking mine are jpeg s
    • SE - Smugmug Explorer
    • I cannot get my IE save bmp as jpg
    • I let SE convert bmp to jpg. Both bmp and jpg looks fine on my machine..
    Again, I'm not sure if this is a wide spread phenomenon (Sebastian, it does not mean I don't want to fix it:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    something
    THIS IS SOMETHING I KNOW . I, over xmas [I do service work ] and am in lots of offices around town .I was showing some pic on dgrin to friends 3 maybe 4 .All pic were diferent to some degree. One office showed the color someone had made ref. to in a pic that i could not understand before i saw
    it there. Also most all the others were sharp and clear that i did not see at home .[not all my pics but others as well ] There is something about programs and monitors ect that asking at computer stores you just get the do you want to buy look not the let me help you look .headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    Jeff W

• Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Jeff, you got me here...
    jwear wrote:
    THIS IS SOMETHING I KNOW . I, over xmas [I do service work ] and am in lots of offices around town .I was showing some pic on dgrin to friends 3 maybe 4 .All pic were diferent to some degree. One office showed the color someone had made ref. to in a pic that i could not understand before i saw
    it there. Also most all the others were sharp and clear that i did not see at home .[not all my pics but others as well ] There is something about programs and monitors ect that asking at computer stores you just get the do you want to buy look not the let me help you look .headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    It's probably me not being a native English speaker.. I know all the words you've used, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what you were trying to say..
    Same picture on different monitors looks different? Yes, they all ARE different - that is unless they are identically calibrated.

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's probably me not being a native English speaker.. I know all the words you've used, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what you were trying to say..
    Same picture on different monitors looks different? Yes, they all ARE different - that is unless they are identically calibrated.

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Nik sorry but lack of terms and understanding makes me rabble. I will try this. take a pic no Ps just resize [infa] and post. Starts out clean in focus ends up fuzzy and soft. I look at them on other computers and there is a def. this I understand somewhat .http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?postid=46405#post46405 but this one-first pic of the road .On my screen the road and sky are no natural color [looks like a water color painting] others all look fine ???? I have not looked from another computer view so cannot comment but I will.JEFF after thought .I did grop some of the pics and use adj. smart fix to lighten but that's about all .I have signed up for classes to get me from ignorant to stupid then maybe my ? will be
    Jeff W