Canon 24 f/1.4 v 35 f/1.4

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited December 17, 2006 in Cameras
I was hoping to find some opinions here (like that will be hard) on a comparison of the Canon 24 f/1.4 L v 35 f/1.4 L. I know there is the obvious (24 v 35), but I am more interested in speed of auto focus, sharpness and DOF at f/1.4 to f/8, image quailty at low light (no flash) w/higher ISOs, vignetting at wider apertures. It will be used for some portraiture type work, PJ / street photography.

For reference I do have the 24 f/2.8, but am considering a REALLY fast prime (it is the holidays, gotta put something on the list). :wink
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Vigging: 24 will vig more than 35, but only really noticeable on FF body.

Sharpness? 35 is MUCH sharper at all apertures, but the 24 is no slouch.

Speed of focus is equal - though hardly much of an issue with wides like this :)

Low light, high iso? Both perform equally.
    edited December 16, 2006
    jdryan3 wrote:
    It will be used for some portraiture type work,
    24mm is VERY HARD to do portraits with :) it can be done, but it's not a standard portrait FL.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 16, 2006
    Real easy to make a nose look very big with a 24:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 16, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    nod.gif Yep. Just ask Steve Cavigliano lol3.gif

18244219-L-1.jpg
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

That was one of my main concerns.

Andy, I am shooting with the 5D and have seen a little too much vignetting on the 24 f/2.8 when open. I've heard the 35 is one of the, if not THE sharpest out there, but ....

Thanks for the feedback
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited December 16, 2006
    jdryan3 wrote:
    That was one of my main concerns.

Andy, I am shooting with the 5D and have seen a little too much vignetting on the 24 f/2.8 when open. I've heard the 35 is one of the, if not THE sharpest out there, but ....

Thanks for the feedback
    All wides will vig on the 5D. But that's what ACR is for. It's a two-second thing in ACR.

deal.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    I don't have the 24/1.4, but the 35/1.4 certainly earns it's reputation. On the 5D it is as sharp as you could ask for at f/4 and it doesn't look bad at all wide open. With the 35/1.4 in my bag, I don't really feel the need for a 24mm prime. Almost anytime I want wider than 35mm, I am stopping down for DoF anyhow so I switch to a zoom (24-105/4 in my case).