Time is up - I shot myself

SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
edited December 17, 2006 in People
Decided to shoot my own portrait. :D Ok...explanations...using a tripod...and my camera timer...I ran to the pool sat down and waaalaaa...comments please.

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Well, you're lucky that your starting out with a pretty lady - that makes it easier! :D

Let's see, I'd crop a bunch off the right - it's not doing anything for the photo and you end up being in the center instead of 1/3.

I'd PS out that hoop in the background in the pool.

I think, if you have an external flash, that if you set it to 2/3rds of a stop below for exposure, you'd have some nice catchlights in your eyes and it might give more depth to your face.

The very tips of your knees bug me. I either want them out or in.

I think you could bump the contrast a bit and that might really make your face pop more!

All in all, I think it's great for a self-portrait! I have done several, but you dont' see 'em here because I just wasn't happy with them at all. Very well done! I don't think you have any major tweaks to do, just some minor ones and you've got it! Great shot!

Is it really that warm in TX right now? YIKES! I don't miss the heat.... We're waiting for snow here! ;)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 16, 2006
    nice self-

try a mirror sometime, it works pretty good-

you did see who the tennessee titans last beat, didn't you?-
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Thanks for the great advice Photogmomma...I will crop and see the difference...I didn't even notice the hose in the background...thanks it's nice to get other views.

Gefillmore...thanks...yeah don't rub it in.:cry ..I was all for Vince Young...man the Texans should've taken him in as the first round draft pick. I think Carr is a good QB...but he's no Vince Young. I think the Titans are going to see a lot of talent in this young man.

But all in all...I am a Texans fan...win or lose...I'm there for my guys!wings.gif
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    That turned out very well for a "run-n-pose" self portrait! :D Very cute! The pool makes for a great background too.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Well, you're lucky that your starting out with a pretty lady - that makes it easier! :D
    I certainly agree with that. I like contrasty shots so for me i would change that & get rid of the hose/leaf in the background.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Just a very quick redo (hope you dont mind) i raised the gamma & added a tiny bit of contrast.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Hello Seneca,

Suggestion:
    Place an object (a chair) where you are supposed to be on the photo and focus.
    Switch off the auto focus.
    Choose an aperture of f/4 or f/5.6 for a conviniente DOF.

Shoot with the timer after removing the chair.
    Use a bounced flash in vertical position and with Stofen to give a touch in your eyes.

Run to place where the chair was.

(you are a beautifull lady :D)
    Hope to see the result.
    Use a contrasting blouse.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Well, Gus beat me to it. Probably because I took some more time with it. I set a black point in your the shadow of your hair, set the grat point to a part of your sweatshirt that was reflecting the blue sky, making the image a bit warmer. Then a couple of curves working on contrast, and a little highlight recovery. Like Gus says, I hope you don't mind. It was fun to play with.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Someone with i2e should show us how it's done. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Wow...Gus and David...good work...I knew I could get some good comments! And I don't mind any touch ups to any of my photos...I consider it a gift from you to take the time and mess with it - thanks.thumb.gif

Antonio...you lost me at after "Suggestions:" but nonetheless...I will take what you said, and learn from it. Thank you for the compliment. This old lady will take all compliments. wings.gif

Thanks everyone.

Senecaclap.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Someone with i2e should show us how it's done. mwink.gif
    I just downloaded a trial version of 12e this morning. I've only used it on a couple of shots so this is about my 3rd attempt. I sure love the sliders....wish you could enlarge the screen so I could see the sharpening better. Guess you just have to get a feel for it. I don't know how this looks...I probably like less contrast (in some shots) than David and Gus, but even a little contrast really boosts the detail in the hair. If this shot is really weird looking, let me know. I just calibrated my monitor and I'm not sure if I'm on the spot or not!!! I'm seeing a lot of very "yellow" people posted on Dgrin lately,,,can't tell if it's me or what. headscratch.gif Nice portrait Seneca, and good for you for taking the plunge! :D

117225148-L.jpg

117226269-L.jpg
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    Thank you for the compliment. This old lady will take all compliments.

Surely you must be looking at a different picture...maybe a picture of someone else? I mean, where's the old lady you're talking about? I don't see one in this thread mwink.gif. You're very attractive and definitely a good subject - so keep shooting yourself! Ok, that last part didn't sound exactly right...Laughing.gif

Like others have said, I too think it would be better to have cropped more of the right off, but I guess that could be a problem if you don't have room to 'move' the image to the left. It seems it would flow better with more open space to the left of the photo. OR you can just crop in tighter :)

Here...I took a stab at it :) I did a few other tweaks too, but never mind that clone tool mess-up you see in the upper left corner :) I didn't have time to go back and fix that. Oops

117275441-L.jpg
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Sometimes I write very clumsy and you don't understand what I am trying to say.
    Let me put it simple:

The photo is not perfectly sharp.
    I think it looks not to be really, really in focus.
    You have to make a perfect focus on yourself.
    How do I think you can do this ?

Make a perfect adjustment of the focus with an object instead of yourself and then switch off the Auto-Focus button.
    This way the lens will be in focus for the distance to which you will be at the time of the shot.

Let me explain again and another away:
    I will be at 3 meters distance.
    As I am not at that point when I press the trigger I lock the focus at that distance.
    How will I do that ? Using a temporary target.
    When I press the shutter using the timer, the lens will be in focus when I get at the 3 meters.

The use of f/4 or f/5.6 is to give the lens a certain amount of DOF because you will not be at exactly 3 meters away.

This time: did I made myself clear ?

Old lady ? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook