Sparrow egg

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
edited December 17, 2006 in Holy Macro
This is a "studio" shot in that it is staged and shot under controlled conditions.

The egg is real. I found it on my sidewalk earlier in the year. Something had "robbed" the contents, but left most of the shell intact.

I shot this with two daylight compact fluorescent lamps in reflector fixtures, and used the onboard flash at -2 ex-comp. The results were realistic, but I wanted to bring out the detail of the markings on the egg shell. Increased contrast didn't have the right effect.

What finally worked was to create a seperate layer, run a "Fresco" filter on that, and then combine with the base layer using "Hard Light", adjusted to suit my taste.

I used my Minolta Dimage A2 with a macro accessory lens, mounted on a copy stand. Manual exposure of 1/80th at f11. Original exposure was RAW, processed in RSE to a 16bit TIFF, then PS7, staying in 16bit as long as possible, saved as JPG for distribution.

ziggy53

P.S. The original attachment was lost and I recreated the current attachment from scratch using, hopefully, a very similar processing.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is a "studio" shot in that it is staged and shot under controlled conditions.

The egg is real. I found it on my sidewalk earlier in the year. Something had "robbed" the contents, but left most of the shell intact.

I shot this with two daylight compact fluorescent lamps in reflector fixtures, and used the onboard flash at -2 ex-comp. The results were realistic, but I wanted to bring out the detail of the markings on the egg shell. Increased contrast didn't have the right effect.

What finally worked was to create a seperate layer, run a "Fresco" filter on that, and then combine with the base layer using "Hard Light", adjusted to suit my taste.

I used my Minolta Dimage A2 with a macro accessory lens, mounted on a copy stand. Manual exposure of 1/80th at f11. Original exposure was RAW, processed in RSE to a 16bit TIFF, then PS7, staying in 16bit as long as possible, saved as JPG for distribution.

ziggy53

The egg looks good Ziggy, like it's in a real nest still thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 17, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    The egg looks good Ziggy, like it's in a real nest still thumb.gif ... Skippy

Thanks Skippy.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Wow at 1st i thought it is Dinosaur egg in museum great pic
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 17, 2006
    Wow at 1st i thought it is Dinosaur egg in museum great pic

Thanks Awais.

The egg is only 25mm long, so this is a macro shot in 35mm terms.

ziggy53
    ziggy53