#80 "Armed & Dangerous"

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited December 20, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I think I am going to submit one of the ones I shot yesterday. Wasn't happy with the tile saw shot. I shot several of these at different angles but keep coming back to this one in particular. It's my son's favorite as well. Comments and critique very welcome.

117287604-L.jpg

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    someone comment..please please please... am i on the right track? is it horrible? i lack so much confidence when it comes to any kind of challenge or contest. tell me you hate it even but please say something. :D thanks.

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Repetition is always a strong element in photography. I quite like what you have done here. It fits with the theme quite well. thumb.gif
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    I like the shot and it certainly seems to fit the theme. I know nothing about Photoshop, can you the lighten the lower section of the arms leading to the buckets and the buckets themselves to compensate for their being in some shadow? It would bring the teeth on the buckets out more and make that aspect more interesting. Perhaps the track area too?
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited December 17, 2006
    Lightened up the bottom a bit. What do you think? I also shot this picture landscape. Do you like it more verticle or horizontal?
    117328647-L.jpg

117328865-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
    edited December 17, 2006
    Lightened up the bottom a bit. What do you think? I also shot this picture landscape. Do you like it more verticle or horizontal?
    117328647-L.jpg
    I much prefer portrait (vertical) for this subject, the height of the arms wants to pull your eyes upward, veritcal gives them somewhere to go... We lose the fifth arm and so some of the impact of the pattern too. Lightening seem to have improved the balance to me, can you get it a bit lighter still? As light as the horizontal version? [edit] Looking again, I think its light enough now, I may be leading you down the path to ruin...
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    By far my favorite photo so far in this challenge. I, too, prefer the vertical framing vs the horizontal. There are only 2 things I can critic to make this shot more pleasing to me. I am a level freak, it seems a bit off kelter to me.
    And if there is some way you could get the colors to pop like in your horizontal shot, I think it would definately get my vote.
    ( Unless I enter a photo, too. :D )
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    :thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    I quite like this shot. Very nice find!!!! The vehicles are staggered nicely and the arm angles are identical. The colors, composition and pattern make for a well composed, unique shot. I'd vote for it :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    nice i liked vertical
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited December 18, 2006
    Sandy Feet wrote:
    By far my favorite photo so far in this challenge. I, too, prefer the vertical framing vs the horizontal. There are only 2 things I can critic to make this shot more pleasing to me. I am a level freak, it seems a bit off kelter to me.
    And if there is some way you could get the colors to pop like in your horizontal shot, I think it would definately get my vote.
    ( Unless I enter a photo, too. :D )

Rotated it a bit and had to crop to compensate for the rotation. I also punched the color up a notch. What do you think now? Thanks everyone for their input. Much appreciated. :D
    117609941-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I actually prefer your first version better. I think the slight tilt makes the photo quite interesting. I really like it - and I think the tilt makes it stronger.
    edited December 19, 2006
    the path to ruin...
    I like the colour and light balance better in the last one, but the composition better in the first one. The rotated and cropped version looses the "Danger" sign and some of the massive arm and knuckles. I miss them. I do like the punchier yellow and prefer seeing the detail of the teeth on the buckets and the red (rust?) on the tracks. My opinion FWIW.
    edited December 19, 2006
    Thank you everyone for your comments, ideas and suggestions. I entered the first version just punched the color up a notch and left it a bit tilted. I have to get better at setting my tripod so my photos are not crooked. Now I have to wait and see what happens. Man I hate not knowing. lol. Thanks again everyone. :D

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Great foto! I like the composition, the great color and ow it pulls the eye in across the whole picture. Good luck!