Tasmania v Western Australia (cricket)

TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited December 19, 2006 in Sports
I spent yesterday at the domestic one day game between the above teams. Tasmania lost by 9 runs but was a pretty good game none the less.

117270840-M.jpg

117272693-M.jpg

117272624-M.jpg
Cheers
David Clifford

Comments

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Nice colours but not many faces, try setting up behind the bowler next time or behind the batsman for bowler shots. What lens did you use ?
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Nice colours but not many faces, try setting up behind the bowler next time or behind the batsman for bowler shots. What lens did you use ?
    Thanks Gary,

The longest lens I have is the Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3. I did try using a 2x TC on it but with no success as the manual focusing made things more difficult. I am back there on Thursday and Friday for the longer version of the game and will give it another go.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
    edited December 18, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Thanks Gary,

The longest lens I have is the Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3. I did try using a 2x TC on it but with no success as the manual focusing made things more difficult. I am back there on Thursday and Friday for the longer version of the game and will give it another go.

I use manual focus try focusing just infront of the batsman because 70% of shots they will step forward for the bowler just infront of the crease at 500mm and 6.3 you have room for error
    edited December 18, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    I use manual focus try focusing just infront of the batsman because 70% of shots they will step forward for the bowler just infront of the crease at 500mm and 6.3 you have room for error

Thanks Gary,

I will definatley give this a go this week.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    Agree on trying to get more of a head on angle. Not straight on - but maybe another 30-40 degrees around so you catch the motion of the batter and the facial expressions... the expression on the wicket keeper in #2 looks pretty good!

This is just a style thing - but I don't really dig the crops at the angle. Looks like they are playing the game on the side of a mountain... I think sports shots stand on their own without this more 'contemporary' treatment...

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
    edited December 18, 2006
    controld wrote:
    Agree on trying to get more of a head on angle. Not straight on - but maybe another 30-40 degrees around so you catch the motion of the batter and the facial expressions... the expression on the wicket keeper in #2 looks pretty good!

This is just a style thing - but I don't really dig the crops at the angle. Looks like they are playing the game on the side of a mountain... I think sports shots stand on their own without this more 'contemporary' treatment...

- Mike

Thanks for the feedback Mike,

The angled photos taken were done in camera, no crops. This was just an attempt to try something different oh well we live and learn. Here are a few more shots from the day.

117272635-M.jpg

117272663-M.jpg

117270822-M.jpg
    Cheers
    David Clifford
    edited December 19, 2006
    I never stay in one place that long i keep watching which shot the batsman favours, looking at the batsman back can get good shots
    84355389-M.jpg

also look for good outfield shots
    85135360-M.jpg