Tilt Shift Portrait

yoyoboyyoyoboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited December 19, 2006 in People
So I was renting a Canon 24 TS L this week for a shot of my school, and I'm finally learning how to use it. One of these is definitely going in my bag in a couple of years when I can afford it:lust.
Heres a portrait I shot of a friend, I also tried it out at a basketball game, I'l post some of those up later.

No PP, I'd like to know what you would do/what you think of it.
320729489_04ef196b68_b.jpg
photo_zoom.gne?id=320729489&size=l

photo_zoom.gne?id=320729489&size=l

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 17, 2006
    Most curious.

I like the effect.

The skin tones seem off?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Interesting...
    I used to own that lens for a while, never thought of it as a tool for portraits... Nice thinking and cool execution.thumb.gif
    I also agree with Ziggy: the blue cast makes your friend look totally frozen..mwink.gif

BTW, I can see only 1st image, the rest are red crosses...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • yoyoboyyoyoboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I used to own that lens for a while, never thought of it as a tool for portraits... Nice thinking and cool execution.thumb.gif
    I also agree with Ziggy: the blue cast makes your friend look totally frozen..mwink.gif

BTW, I can see only 1st image, the rest are red crosses...ne_nau.gif

I think they are from when I messed up posting the image, I don't see them though.
    I kinda like the blue color(i think i had wb set to tungsten) it goes along with the coat to give the impression of winter.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    I would like to see atleast one unobstructed eye.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    Cool use of the tilt-shift!
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I love this shot, the cool blue, the mystery of the eye and lips peaking out past the fur; it is as if you snuck this shot but she caught you and is permitting it to happen...
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    It is a cool photo, but the very little of her face we see indicates a very beautiful face and thus I'd like to see more of it.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 19, 2006
    Sorry but I don't understand what special effect (tilt-shift?) I'm supposed to be seeing here.

Can someone explain it?
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I like the mystery of the partial face and the cool blue effect as well.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Sorry but I don't understand what special effect (tilt-shift?) I'm supposed to be seeing here.

Can someone explain it?

In this case the effect is the extremely narrow DOF. The eye in perfect focus yet the foreground and background that are not even inches away out of focus. You can also use tilt to give the opposite result, massive DOF with your aperature wide open, very handy in certain situations (Landscapes which include interesting forground features). Do a Google Image search on "tilt shift lens" and check out the photos taken with one. You'll find many better explanations there than mine to explain what you can do.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.