Getting my kids to sit still is......

CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited December 21, 2006 in People
Impossible! Ain't gonna happen (I'm sure many of you can relate!). So I'm not sure what possessed me to attempt a portrait session today, but nevertheless here are the results. I'd love to hear what you think.

Setup was in my basement with white walls all the way around. External flash in wireless mode diffused and bounced off the wall, with on camera flash used for fill. I intentionally left these a little warm because we are so fair skinned and I didn't want skin tones to be completely washed out.

Thanks for looking! Comments are greatly appreciated :D

PICT9752_edited-1.jpg

PICT9778_edited-1.jpg

PICT9775_edited-1.jpg

PICT9789_edited-1.jpg

PICT9783_edited-1.jpg

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    I think they look great. NIce expressions, and casual natural looks.
  • CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    They are gorgeous (and so are your portraits.) :)

I really love the blurred background and sharp, sharp, sharp faces thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    Love these! #1 and #3 are my favorites! Like CenterStageLori said, very nice control of DOF and such sharp focus on the faces. Well done, indeed!thumb.gif
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    I would be very happy with those results if I were you. I know what you mean about trying to get your kids to sit still ! It's not easy.
  • DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    im really liking the christmas tree blurred behind them, definately makes it a great photo, along with the nice sharpness
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 18, 2006
    Charla,

A wonderful series!

The first three do seem a bit overly bright on my monitor, and the first two are a little "flat" in lighting. (The first is kind of justified, because much more angle to the light, and shadows could have become a problem on each other's face.) Possibly the fill needs to be cut back a bit.

The fourth is almost perfect for lighting, with excellent depth and dimentionality.

The last is nice, but, I'd like to see a little more angle on your face, not so "straight into" the camera. (I do the same thing, so this is a reminder to myself as well.)

What I "love" about the series is the intimacy and affection. I adore the interaction and animation of you and the kids.

The first image is a true "family" portrait, with the closeness and warmth that many families would envy.

I echo the sentiment about the way the bokeh affects the lights in the background. That perfect luminous sphere is to be desired and is a very attractive addition to the background.

I hope that I have conveyed the sense that I truly enjoyed these images, and any criticism is intended to be constructive.

Good job and thanks for sharing,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    All are fine, but two and three really stand out!
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    Thanks so much for the kind responses everyone. I was really happy with these shots but a little positive reinforcement really helps my confidence. wings.gif

Ziggy - I really appreciate the C&C on these and I totally agree that the first 2 are bright. I was constantly tinkering with the light really working to control the shadows and wound up overdoing it a bit. Later in the session I dialed back the fill flash from -1.0 to -2.0 and that I think is where you see the difference between the shots.

The first shot was at f6.3 and we were very close to the tree. I didn't like how in focus the background was so I moved the stool further from the tree, moved the camera back and switched to my Tokina 100mm Macro f2.8 and shot all the rest at f2.8 basically just to see what would happen to the background. I really liked the bokeh that gave me and as an added surprise I even got some of the subjects in focus!

The self portrait was actually a result of my son saying "Mom can I take some pictures of you?" I said sure and set up the shot and got into position and let him press the shutter. He thought that was pretty cool. I think I have a budding little photographer in the family eek7.gif:D

Thanks again everyone for the comments!
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I love the third one. Wonderful expression.
  • yoyoboyyoyoboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    the purple catch light in #2 is pretty cool.
    edited December 20, 2006
    DavidS wrote:
    I love the third one. Wonderful expression.

Appreciate the comment, thanks for looking! :D
    edited December 20, 2006
    yoyoboy wrote:
    the purple catch light in #2 is pretty cool.

Thanks. I'm not sure what caused the purple tones in the eyes on #2. Could be a reflection of something or maybe a remnant of an auto red eye fix. I don't remember if the original has any red eye or not...

Thanks for the comments :D
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Great looking family. Good work.:ivar
  • MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Very nice set of pictures!! At least I'm not the only one with kids who won't sit still. You did get some nice expressions. My kids (especially the oldest) will cross her eyes and stick her tongue out.

Mel
  • KenMaurerKenMaurer Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2006
    Great smiles
    Great smiles. I bet they are even bigger today after all the snow you got in Denver.
    edited December 21, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    Great looking family. Good work.:ivar

Thanks Seneca :D
    edited December 21, 2006
    MelP wrote:
    Very nice set of pictures!! At least I'm not the only one with kids who won't sit still. You did get some nice expressions. My kids (especially the oldest) will cross her eyes and stick her tongue out.

Mel

I got one of those too!

PICT9739_edited-1-1.jpg
    edited December 21, 2006
    KenMaurer wrote:
    Great smiles. I bet they are even bigger today after all the snow you got in Denver.

Thanks for the comments. Keep your eyes open for a new thread "Things to do in Denver..." :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 21, 2006
    Charla wrote:
    I got one of those too!

PICT9739_edited-1-1.jpg

I don't remember that big kid being in the back of the previous images?ne_nau.gif That tongue looks nice and healthy. You are blessed.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 21, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I don't remember that big kid being in the back of the previous images?ne_nau.gif That tongue looks nice and healthy. You are blessed.

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy. Yeah, the big one bailed out after about 5 shots, but whaddya expect when the Broncos are playing??!! :D