Options

Canon i9900 question

imann08imann08 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited December 21, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone know how to find out ink tank levels on the i9900? I have looked at the user guide but can't seem to find a way to do it. I could have sworn there was a way but I'm having trouble finding it. I know it tells you when you are low but I want to be able to tell how much is left in each tank at any time I choose.

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    imann08 wrote:
    Does anyone know how to find out ink tank levels on the i9900?
    Mine pops up with a window showing ink tank levels every time I print a photo.

Plus you can run it directly, without printing anything. If I can recall (at work, 20 miles from home), first I have to turn the printer on. Then (on WinXP) I bring up the Printers box (Control Panel > Printers). There is an icon for the i9900; I right-click on it to get a menu, then click on ...Preferences(??). Anyway, in the end I bring up a Maintenance panel for the i9900. Toward the lower-right-hand corner there is an icon and words like "Canon Status Monitor"; when I click on that, after a few seconds the status monitor pops up showing the ink tanks. (initially it doesn't show the levels; you have to wait 10-15 seconds for it to poll the printer for that info). I know this isn't quite accurate, going from memory, but I hope it gets you there!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited December 18, 2006
    That's what I thought. I had already seen that. Unfortunately, I was looking for something more exact. I was hoping to have something that gave percentages of ink left of used or something along those lines.

Since you use the i9900, I was wondering if you have any advice on ICC Profiles. I just picked up some red river paper and hear that many go to other self made profiles or have them made for them. I have no experience with profiles at this point and was wondering if you could help me out on that?
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    imann08 wrote:
    Since you use the i9900, I was wondering if you have any advice on ICC Profiles. I just picked up some red river paper and hear that many go to other self made profiles or have them made for them. I have no experience with profiles at this point and was wondering if you could help me out on that?
    I just got some Red River samplers myself, but haven't loaded any paper profiles yet. My assumption was that if one just followed Red River's instructions about what folder to deposit the profiles in, then select the right profile in the printer dialog box, it would all work. (maybe I'm being naive, but...)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    My canon printer doesn't do exact levels-- but it's pretty easy to pop the "hood" and look at the levels.

For a cheap yet accurate profile, check out:

http://www.cathysprofiles.com/

There are other services available too-- I've used Cathy's several times though with good results each time.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    My canon printer doesn't do exact levels-- but it's pretty easy to pop the "hood" and look at the levels.

For a cheap yet accurate profile, check out:

http://www.cathysprofiles.com/

There are other services available too-- I've used Cathy's several times though with good results each time.

I found that not all the papers that I have tried with Red River's profiles looked the same. One was way off. I think it was the Polar Matte.