Options

Photoshop: one 30" monitor, or 24" +19"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    heh, it wasnt that clean 20mins before those photos were taken.
    rolleyes1.gif

And it's obvious that you aren't in CA, either ... almost no one has a basement out here (but everyone in the Midwest had 'em, where I grew up). I like the "wall covering" -- looks like major insulation, probably keeps it fairly warm and cozy!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 28, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    If one has their display properties already pinned at their maximum (let's say its 1920 x 1200), and they're using a 23" monitor of the same native resolution, are they out of luck adding a 2nd monitor to display more desktop space?

This person (who will remain nameless - probably, um, a friend rolleyes1.gif ) might want to add another monitor for editing if that's possible. This person also has a video card with a second non-dvi output.

OS is Windows XP Pro (and not Win95!, Andy).
    you'll be fine david, I've got the same thing going. One monitor is DVI the other is d-sub (vga)
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    photobug wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

And it's obvious that you aren't in CA, either ... almost no one has a basement out here (but everyone in the Midwest had 'em, where I grew up). I like the "wall covering" -- looks like major insulation, probably keeps it fairly warm and cozy!
    yeah, that and the furnace 10ft to my right.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 28, 2006
    Lee, what's with all that foil on the walls? Is that to keep the EMR from escaping the house and affecting your neighbors?
    bigwebguy wrote:
    you'll be fine david, I've got the same thing going. One monitor is DVI the other is d-sub (vga)

My "friend" just emailed me this screenshot of his Display Properties>Settings dialog box. No Monitor #2 icon is present. ne_nau.gif Other possible monitor is an oldish Sony 19"CRT with the oldish style VGA adaptor plug. The 6600 card has a second port available and has 256MB of memory.

displaysettings.gif

Should he just plug it in and see what happens?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Lee, what's with all that foil on the walls? Is that to keep the EMR from escaping the house and affecting your neighbors?
    Actually, I had to have it installed when I started working for SmugMug. Something about not letting my thought whispers escape. I also had to put dreamcatchers in my bedroom windows. They're from California...I don't ask questions.

David_S85 wrote:
    My "friend" just emailed me this screenshot of his Display Properties>Settings dialog box. No Monitor #2 icon is present. ne_nau.gif Other possible monitor is an oldish Sony 19"CRT with the oldish style VGA adaptor plug. The 6600 card has a second port available and has 256MB of memory.

Should he just plug it in and see what happens?
    Yeah, you'll be fine. If after your friend plugs in the second monitor it doesn't show in display properties, said friend should update their video card drivers.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Actually, I had to have it installed when I started working for SmugMug. Something about not letting my thought whispers escape. I also had to put dreamcatchers in my bedroom windows. They're from California...I don't ask questions.
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    Allright, got a 2407 for x-mas and bought the 1907 to keep it company in the vertical realm. The 1907 that arrived today is total dog poop. The color on it is so whacked there is no way this is going to work. There are literally no grays in the spectrum and I've tried every which way to dial it in. I can't even get it close. It'll be swapped out for a 2007 in the coming days and hopefully that will prove a better match for the 2407 which is really stunning.

dual%20monitors.jpg&
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Reply to OP: I have that exact setup, a 24" Dell Widescreen LCD + 19" CRT. I love it!!! The only thing I do not like about it is that the second one isn't another 24 incher!

edit:
    Here is my desktop... I am a programmer so I did a quick swipe the clean desk thing for all of you. It is normally a LOT messier with empty glasses and whatnot! ;) I usually use the second screen for folders or a second program, not stretched CS2. I guess it is how I was "raised" which was two copies of Visual Studio open at once, one for each monitor. And yes, that is a stack of Roseanne DVDs... Laughing.gif
    desktop_003.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    Leak: Dell 27" consumer desktop display, native 1920 x 1200. Very soon.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 1, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Leak: Dell 27" consumer desktop display, native 1920 x 1200. Very soon.

Why would that be better than the 24" that is 1920 x 1200 native?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Why would that be better than the 24" that is 1920 x 1200 native?

Dunno, unless they're thinking people would also use it also as a HD TV.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    I got the 2405 FPW last year and love it (after calibration). Sits next to my Sony Trintron 19" flat screen CRT. I did have to get a new video card for dual output, but the PCI nVidia I got can only handle ONE profile for both monitors (I use the Dell's). Higher end cards allow separate profiles per output device (usually AGP & PCI Express).

If you are using the one monitor (my 19" for me) for palettes, browser, and what not, calibration accuracy is not a big deal. If you are going to have a setup like Andy's (where images are being done in both monitors), at least have the same type of monitor. But in reality they should be calibrated independently for true color accuracy, each with its own profile.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac