My Home Studio... Am I on the right track?

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited December 24, 2006 in People
With a few willing subjects... Well, $2 an hour is the going rate for using your kids as willing models subjects... I've been working on taking some "studio" shots.

It's not much of a studio... It's my dining room, small dining room with the table moved of course. I'm trying to work on this stuff as much as I can to get a handle on it... I just read on dgrin "My first week as a studio photographer" by Redhawk and it looks like I might have a lot to learn.

So, any pointers? I wanted to post something on the whipping post, but alas, I am a wimp and have more than one pic.

So here are my "real" efforts at studio shots. Current set-up: I'm using a canon 430ex on camera with bounce left, two 100 watt halog behind a white screen and a 100 watt light bulb lamp for the back light.

Kinda looks like this minus the small black light on the floor...
115212787-M.jpg

current set up shots.
117700732-M.jpg
Hannah, 11

117714172-M.jpg
Miriam, 7

117716460-M.jpg
Caleb, 4

Over all I'm pleased, but may need a reality check. Very little post work. Just a few punches to color here and there.

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    I have only one word for you. "D**n" Those are super!clap.gifclap

Small nit - iron out the wrinkles on you backdrop.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Thanks Scott... I, too, saw the wrinkle in the background... Bummer. I will fix that next time. I might have to head back to the fabric store for more backdrop fabric... $10 is not bad for a backdrop.

Anyone else?

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 19, 2006
    I think I would suggest bringing the lights down just a bit, the eye sockets look a bit dark, but not too much because Miriam has that nice triangle of light on her cheek.

Well done and sweet kids. You are blessed.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Very nicely done. Great shots and beautiful children. The backdrop is a little distracting but not too much. Fabric is great for back drops. I tend to use thumb tacks in the corners out of lens capture. Keeps the wrinkles out. Just an idea. Keep up the great work.

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Lots of people spend ten times as much and don't get half the quality you did! Well done!
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
    edited December 20, 2006
    Thanks Murphy... I keep looking at what studio lights cost and eek7.gif it's crazy... Plus, I don't have a clue on what does what.

I love Shay's idea for a portable studio light set-up for under a $100... but that's still $100. Right now I'm not making money taking pictures of my own kids.

I hope to be able to expand... but I'm a bit timid. I'm not sure how many folks can fit into my dining room. :D Not sure my wife will let me transform it into a studio since it's in the middle of our house.

Anyhow, thanks again.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    <<< $2 an hour is the going rate for using your kids as models >>>

I think you're good enough to charge them much more. :D

<<< the eye sockets look a bit dark >>>

<<< people spend ten times as much and don't get half the quality you did! >>>

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I'm no expert in the lighting department yet, but these shots really appeal to me as portraits! You're definitely on the right track...you are capturing great (I mean really great!) expression. These photos are highly marketable to parents and grandparents!!!! Small adjustments in lighting (eyes) and you're there, I think! clap.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I like them, and I like the wrinkled backdrop...... But then what do I know!
    The only formal "portrait" shot I ever did was at midnight before a Daily, of my dogs. My backdrop was wrinkled, too.

My dogs work cheaper. Only treats........One per shot was the usual. But then again, your kids are darn cute!

ginger

(When I found out what the studios were charging (150.00 for just the sitting fee), I decided I would do portraits anywhere...........but my house, and I don't have a studio. Be Brave. I would buy those kids, uh photos like them of my grandkids, anytime!!! I decided my sitting fee would be something like 50.00, or 75.00 plus a profit on each picture. Am waiting for an opportunity!

I have no idea what you did for lights. I just used an on camera Sigma 500 whatever, plus Gary Fong, but that was for dogs.

You could do a Tute for "cheapest" light set up ever. Or cheapest studio, ever!!!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Where is Shay's 100.00 portable light set up??? I mean where is the tute?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Excelent shots...........
    edited December 21, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Where is Shay's 100.00 portable light set up??? I mean where is the tute?

ginger

You can look Here for the Tutorial. This is the original post without the pic but the details on the items he used are also here.

Next time I set up my "studio", I'll take some pics and post them.

Good to hear from you G... Hope all is well with you.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Great shots!!

The shot of Caleb is a cracker!!!! Love it.

Cheers
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Great job
    What kind of fabric is that? It sure beats the $600+ for back drops at B&H.
    johno wrote:
    You can look Here for the Tutorial. This is the original post without the pic but the details on the items he used are also here.

Next time I set up my "studio", I'll take some pics and post them.

Good to hear from you G... Hope all is well with you.

peace.
    johno~
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
    edited December 21, 2006
    Stacey L wrote:
    What kind of fabric is that? It sure beats the $600+ for back drops at B&H.

JoAnne's Fabrics or other fabric store...

Upholstery Fabrics rolls in the back... They're wider than most fabrics and they offer nice textures... This one was $10 a yard but they had a 50% off that day so I bought 2 yards... Small children.

I just went back to look in there close out which is reduced price + 50% off

You can also make your own back drop... Here is a DIY by Jay Bedingfield.

I haven't done this yet but, soon.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Thanks, John. I'll let you know how I make out...
    johno wrote:
    JoAnne's Fabrics or other fabric store...

Upholstery Fabrics rolls in the back... They're wider than most fabrics and they offer nice textures... This one was $10 a yard but they had a 50% off that day so I bought 2 yards... Small children.

I just went back to look in there close out which is reduced price + 50% off

You can also make your own back drop... Here is a DIY by Jay Bedingfield.

I haven't done this yet but, soon.

peace.
    johno~
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I've been looking for a source for inexpensive muslin. This led me down a very interesting path. I love this forum!!!
    edited December 22, 2006
    I've been looking for a source for inexpensive muslin. This led me down a very interesting path. I love this forum!!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    I hear you Scott... A lot to be learned from the many Am's and Pros here at Dgrin.

I have learned almost everything I know from reading, sharing and posting here.

peace and Thanks to Dgrin.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Very nice shots Johno, and cute kids too!

Check out Ebay for inexpensive fabrics. I was able to reupholster a couch and 2 chairs in my RV for about $50. I've found a lot of nice upholstery fabrics for $2-$5 a yard that would normally run around $10-$15 a yard at a store like Joann's. I'll probably start looking for some backdrop fabrics now that I'm getting interested in portrait photography. Thanks for linking Shay's tute on cheap lighting, I'll have to check that out since cheap & even cheaper are all that I can afford. :D
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2006
    First, let me say love the quote you use...I use that one often on my site.
    then let me say....I'm always looking for curtains on clearence....can work wonders!!!
    I use my kitchen as my studio....less furniture to move around.
    I bought one of the lighting kits from B&H Photo...I think I spent around 200.00. Not bad because I am able to haul them around to locations if need be. I've been lucky so far because the bulbs have not burned out...not sure what I will be looking at when they do (price wise)

With some of my photos people can not believe they were taken in my kitchen or their (I go to people alot...they are more comfortable in their own setting) living room...or where ever.
    They are great shots and yes, with a little finessing I think you are on your way!!!
    Keep it up and keep posting. DG is fantastic for help!!!!!!clap.gifclap.gif
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.