Options

tokina 12-24 f4

photographixphotographix Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited December 20, 2006 in Cameras
hi lord richard. is enyone shooting with a tokina 12-24 f4. if so can you tell me eny thing good bad or what i an thinking geting one .thanks rick merry christmas every body.
just be nice THATS ALL! www.photographix.smugmug.com :seamus

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    It's a nice lens. I used to have one for Canon mount. Only down side is that it's not 10mm, there is a bit of CA at the 12mm end, and it needs a thin cpl or it'll vingette at 12mm. I have a Sigma 10-20 now and think it offers more.

Both are nice lenses though.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I vote for the Sigma 10-20 as well. I have one and it's a very well built and sharp lens :)
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I have the Tokina & IMHO it's a fantastic lens. I'm not seeing much CA anywhere & have no vignetting at 12mm with a CPL--but then the lens is meant for APS-C bodies (1.6x on my 20D). No downsides really. I guess if I really dig, the only niggle is the zoom ring runs opposite Canon's, but that's such a small thing (and common to all 3rd party lenses IIRC), it's not really worth mentioning.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    12-24 f4
    thanks i shoot a d70 and my 17 3.5 just wont do i am thinking the tokina but mite go with the sigma is that a 5.6 ?.thanks so much rick.
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I use the Tokina with my D200 and think it is a fine lens - especially for the price. No complaints at all. Did not really look closely at the Sigma 10-20 when I was shopping - 12mm is plenty wide for me, and 24 gets you to almost 'normal' on the 2/3 sensor.
    thanks i shoot a d70 and my 17 3.5 just wont do i am thinking the tokina but mite go with the sigma is that a 5.6 ?.thanks so much rick.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I have a tokina 12-24 and tested the sigma 10-20. The borders on the sigma is waaaay wors then tokinas and the AF is not so good either, its HSM on the sigma. Its not load at all. But the borders are sooo ARGH, I like sharp borders and tokina 12-24 gives me that.

Take a look here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

:ivar
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    tokina 12-24
    thanks for all the info. i shoot a lot of landscapes so i need somthing wide and it was tokina or nikon for the price i think tokina yes ?-yes! thanks yall. lord richard.