Pondering my fate

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited December 26, 2006 in People

Pondering-my-fate_MG_0650.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=f92d7a6d73eed16cae485aba65803eb6

Stone pillar for my pillow and pavement for my bed.
The smell from the cafeteria is screwing with my head
Look at this old jacket: it’s loosing its last thread.
Pondering my fate. Where is that daily bread?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 20, 2006
    Ted,

This one really is awesome! I wish you would insert larger images, because at small size, this is just average. When I took a look at the larger image, pointed to by the link, it just spoke to me.

The graininess is great.
    The high contrast yields a very nice "edginess".
    The empty bench in the background tells the story of an outcast, or at least an unfortunate.

Just a really wonderful capture. thumb.gifthumb (I don't think you need the poem.)

Thanks for sharing,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Thanks Ziggy. I did consider cloning out the bench but its shape is reminiscent of scales - weighting the options and choices etc.

Here is the full image for people who do not click on links:

Pondering-my-fate_MG_0650.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I like this too (much more impact seen larger...I followed Ziggy's advice and clicked the link). Something very poignant here, and I'm glad you left the bench in the shot. It really adds to it. Well seen and captured.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 20, 2006
    Thanks Elaine.

Ideally I'd like even lower shooting point but in this scenario it would mean me on the pavement and thus making a scene of this man and that is not my style. Perhaps with time I'll get angle viewfinder extension for such situations.
    Elaine wrote:
    I like this too (much more impact seen larger...I followed Ziggy's advice and clicked the link). Something very poignant here, and I'm glad you left the bench in the shot. It really adds to it. Well seen and captured.

Elaine
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Thanks Elaine.

Ideally I'd like even lower shooting point but in this scenario it would mean me on the pavement and thus making a scene of this man and that is not my style. Perhaps with time I'll get angle viewfinder extension for such situations.

I respectfully disagree about getting lower in this shot! I think being above him is appropriate in this case. Aside from the obvious meanings of being above someone, you captured the scene and his face perfectly and any change would have ruined it, IMHO.

Wonderful capture! And I'm SO glad you posted the larger one! clap.gif
    edited December 20, 2006
    Thank you, perhaps you are right, but when I took it I was thinking I should be lower than I am. I wasn't that high above him (perhaps half a metre) sitting on a step. It certainly was not my intention to look down on him.
  • asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    brilliant bowdown.gif
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    I love this image, don't clone out the bench, an image like this should be kept as pure as possible.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 23, 2006
    good job, ted-

love looking at your street shots-
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 23, 2006
    The perpective on this one is nice. Gives us more of his face (which you might
    lose by going lower).

Nice shot and nice words to go with it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 26, 2006
    After looking at the larger image I have to wonder if you're not forcing a false perception of the subject. It appears that his shoes, jeans and jacket are new, clean and quite nice. Is this man really who your words portray him to be?
    edited December 26, 2006
    Yes, he is homeless. I pass a homeless shelter every morning and at times I wonder just the same, as some of the people there are just like this man: clean, tidy and in relatively good clothing.
    truth wrote:
    After looking at the larger image I have to wonder if you're not forcing a false perception of the subject. It appears that his shoes, jeans and jacket are new, clean and quite nice. Is this man really who your words portray him to be?
    edited December 26, 2006
    Yes, he is homeless. I pass a homeless shelter every morning and at times I wonder just the same, as some of the people there are just like this man: clean, tidy and in relatively good clothing.

That's cool. Just struck me as odd.