Dpp

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited December 26, 2006 in Finishing School
Wow, I just wanted to say that I just installed DPP and LOVE it! I went back and revisited a few shots I did in the RAW format on my XTi and DPP just blew away what I am able to do in CS2 (Note that I am a noob in CS2). Here is just one of the few I visited, the ability to change white balance and then enhance colors and how it is so easy is awesome. I will definately be shooting in RAW for now on! May have to get a bigger CF card though since I doubt 2gb will cut it. :ivar

Any tips?

Click for full res.
Original
RAW_003_SMALL.jpg

Modified (Little noisier due to Sharpness Increase)
RAW_003_MODIFIED_SMALL.jpg

Comments

• monkeydeusmonkeydeus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    I really like DPP too. It's almost a shame to have to view the images in other converters when you see how good they can look in DPP.

One tip is to work with the tone curve in Luminosity mode to minimize any color shifts. I've also found, and this is kind of strange, that almost regardless of the shot, and even with correct white balance, if I nudge the blue channel up a little bit on the bottom end, say from 0 to 10-15 instead, I almost always get truer color. There are some really helpful tutorials here http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/dpp2/

Other tips: make sure you look at different picture styles for your images (landscape, neutral, etc.). You might be surprised how good some of your pictures can look with the default settings these styles provide. And, take advantage of the built in noise reduction, it's actually pretty good. There are several settings, I think under the general tab of preferences. Good luck.
  • Skipper1613Skipper1613 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    1st let me say I don't mean this as a slam or flame.

Looking at both pictures and the full res picture before the crop I see the color improvement but find my self asking what were you focusing on? I couldn't find anything in focus. I have a digital Rebel Xt the 8mp version and often find my self wondering about it's ability to nail the focus. At first I wondered about my lens but with 3 different lenses I suspect the camera or the operator is at fault. I hope it's the camera, I can get it replaced. mwink.gif
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    Hmmm.

First thing, the picture needs to be in focus. ne_nau.gif

Second, it's way underexposed. Need to bump that up... you need to learn more about histograms but in general the yellow should be brighter so the peak of your histogram should probably be to the right of center.