The Big Duck

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited December 23, 2006 in Holy Macro
Eastern Long Island is home to the "Big Duck" - built in 1931 by a local duck farmer, it's a 20 ft. tall, 30 ft. long concrete duck. It originally housed a shop selling processed ducks and eggs. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it houses a small gift and tourist information shop. This time of year, it is gets decorated for the holidays.

118049016-L.jpg

118049100-L.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 20, 2006
    I saw a PBS special, probably two years ago, that had these sorts of odd buildings, and this "Duck" was featured as well.

Good exposures and great story.

Thanks for sharing,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I can see it now
    There will be bumper stickers from shore to shore..."Wall Duck" rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I heard they decorated the big duck
    But I've never seen it decorated. My mom thought I was nuts when I insisted we go by and see it on one of my trips back east.

Thank you so much for posting the decorated duck!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    moose135 wrote:
    Eastern Long Island is home to the "Big Duck" - built in 1931 by a local duck farmer, it's a 20 ft. tall, 30 ft. long concrete duck. It originally housed a shop selling processed ducks and eggs. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it houses a small gift and tourist information shop. This time of year, it is gets decorated for the holidays.

Well that's something you don't see every day eek7.gif
    We used to have a famous duck called "PLUCKA DUCK" not sure what happened to him but he was pretty funny rolleyes1.gif he too had quite a reputation, but not for being Historic, it was for being a bit naughty rolleyes1.gif

Nice to see they kept the Farmer Duck in tact for all these years, it looks good all decorated too ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    This is definitely one of my most fond memories of the island. If I remember, they had recently moved it out to southampton and restored it somewhat.

Thanks for the memories

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Wow beautiful building ! loved your photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    I've totally been there! :)

Where are you from? I grew up in Suffolk County clap.gif