Options

EF-S 10-22mm - Why so expensive???

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 4, 2005 in Cameras
What's so great about this lens?

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=10510

Granted it's very wide, but it's not fast (aperture), or even fixed for that matter. F3.5-5.6 is the same as the el cheapo 18-55mm. Construction looks the same too, as in, not as sturdy as L glass. What am I missing? Or is wide glass just that expensive?
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    BTW, it's so new, I guess I should mention: B&H price is $800
    Erik

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    BTW, it's so new, I guess I should mention: B&H price is $800

Micahael Reichman did a fairly extensive review of the Canon 12-22 here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-10-22mm-test.shtml

He thought it was much sharper than the Sigma 12-24. His main concern was that for $800 it was an EF-S lens and hence would not work in a full frame DSLR, nor will it work in a 1DMkll. Hence is may not be lens used a lot in the future as people upgrade their black boxes ( camera bodies I mean:D )

I must admit that I have not been impressed with the sharpness of the Sigma 12-24 either.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    i used it, briefly, before i sold my 20d and ef-s 10-22 lens. it's a fine performer, ultra-wide! at equiv 16mm you can't find a lens that does this on your camera...

the build is good... the feel is good. pic quality excellent imo. there are loads of samples floating around, my bird feeding shot was with this lens btw..

shop around, i bought it at dell for $615 on a dell special.....

cheers
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    so i guess you're saying the price is justified? Like I said, I'm just used to the EF-S being a cheap lens... sounds like this one is different.

I don't see myself having a mkII of any sort any time soon, so that's not a problem. I'd really like this lens a lot. Always craved wide glass. Even at $615 its too high. My budget is zero, but I have a 75-300 IS that I don't use much, so I was thinking a swap. Oh well.
    Erik