'bulk settings' - I don't get it

jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited December 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
This is not a rant. Repeat. This is not a rant. Yes there's an implicit complaint, but I have a specific question.

I cannot get 'bulk settings' to work, and I've spent an awful lot of time trying. I've read the Help. To me, the interface is just not making sense and/or this appears not to work. I'm a software developer and maybe that's part of the problem.

Intuitively it seems the idea is that I could customize a gallery, save all those settings under a name, then use 'bulk settings' to select a group of galleries and apply that named group of settings to all. I am unable to do any of that.

I am willing to continue thrashing on this IF someone simply assures me that it does in fact work more or less as expected. I am not expecting someone to jump in and go over what I've been doing, step-by-step - I'm a bit too frustrated for that, right now. What I'd like to know is: am I wasting my time on something that simply doesn't work?

So - does anyone successfully save settings under a name, and then use 'bulk settings' to apply that named group to a set of galleries?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 21, 2006
    Hi Jim,

My guess is that bulk settings doesn't work you way you think it does...it has happened in the past.

If you use Firefox, you might want to try out my SmugBrowser FF extension, it allows for applying bulking settings for all galleries contain within a category, sub-category or even your entire account.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Actually this isn't the right forum. I reposted it in the smugmug support forum.
    devbobo, I did try your program once and it's interesting. I would still lke to find out if 'bulk settings' works. If it doesn't work the way I expect, I would like to adjust my thinking, but I ran out of ideas.
  • jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I looked at smugbrowser again. While it looks like it will apply settings to all the galleries in a category, when I creat a new gallery I'm still sort of stuck. I can't copy settings from an existing gallery or apply a group of settings previously saved under a name. If I want to match my other galleries, I have to check the properties of an existing gallery and tediously match them point-by-point in the new gallery. Do you see what I'm getting at?
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 21, 2006
    jim_h wrote:
    I looked at smugbrowser again. While it looks like it will apply settings to all the galleries in a category, when I creat a new gallery I'm still sort of stuck. I can't copy settings from an existing gallery or apply a group of settings previously saved under a name. If I want to match my other galleries, I have to check the properties of an existing gallery and tediously match them point-by-point in the new gallery. Do you see what I'm getting at?
    yes i see what you are getting at. I guess it comes down to how you apply options to your galleries. I need to get around to implementing SM's version of the bulk update so you can save settings.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos