Options

About to market, but would like opinions.

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited December 23, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
So I have set up a small business plan and finally think I have my website where I would like it to be for now. I would really like people's opinions on my print section. Photography is my true passion in life and I know right now I can't quit my career and hope to make it as a photographer but would definetly like to sell prints. More for the fact of I just want others to enjoy my work. I love taking pictures and will continue to do so whether i sell prints or not, but I really enjoy it when others appreciate my work. I would love to see my stuff hanging on walls more than I would love the money. I guess I would just want people to take a look at my prints section and maybe my site and tell me in your honest opinions if you think I am on the right track or could suggest a little something or other. Thanks for your time in advance and I greatly appreciate your help and all the help and advice everyone has been so kind to give. Here is the link to my print section. http://lifesdisciple.smugmug.com/gallery/2250282

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Michael,

Good job! I think you have a nice site that presents both you, and your work well.

Don't get disappointed if you don't see any sales. Others can offer more first hand info, but I think people are reluctant to purchase photos online unless they know, or know someone how knows the photographer. What is does do however, is to add credibility, and to a certain degree legitimacy. It allows people who you come in contact with to check you out a little bit from the comfort of their own home.

Keep plugging away, good luck, and keep us all updated. We’re pulling for you!

Sam
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Honestly.......I checked out your link. Some of the shots are pleasing to the eye, but (honest part) nothing I saw really grabbed me, you know as fresh or new. Some of your close up shots seemed to be oof to me. If the pic looks less than tac sharp on-line, the potential customer is going to assume they won't be sharp when it arrives. Art is subjective, so finding the right person to buy your stuff is not easy. Hoping that the right person happens upon your site, is a shot in the dark. I shoot lots of landscapes and such, but don't really put them on my site. They are my pleasure, and my MX photography/reporting is the money maker. With that being said, I still shoot landsapes, and animals, and....well anything I want.

Keep shooting!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Thanks Sam and Jeffro for you words and honesty. I see all your points. I guess though I am just going to stick with tyring to get stuff on walls at places and cater to the print person. The one who likes my landscapes and such. These are the shots I love to shoot and make me happy doing so. Like I said if I make money or not this is something I will always do. Looking over my site though I don't think I like the way I cropped some of the print pics and made them look comercial. I have been in a disagreement with a friend of mine about cropping photos. He feels it is okay to post crop and I feel that you should compose/crop as you shoot. Just a difference of opinions I guess. We both see each others points but not enough to say yay or nay about either. I think I am going to fix that about the print section and the only other feedback I have gotten from other sites I belong to is that I don't charge enough. I beg to differ and feel I charge too much. As far as your MX shooting Jeffro it is very nice and I can see how it can be profitable. I have been asked to shoot a few childrens sporting events around town and think this may draw some income and guests to my site. Hope for the best is all I can do. Thanks again for your tips and honesty.

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Thanks again for your tips and honesty.

You're welcome!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Michael,

First a disclaimer: There are many more here who have a lot more knowledge then myself, but I’ll give you my thoughts for whatever there’re worth.

Remember to leave a little room in case you need to straighten the image, and don’t forget when you mat it you will loose some here as well.

While I try to get the composition correct at image capture, it’s not always possible. Many times the image will look much better at say a 4/5 ratio, or a pano maybe at 2/1. You can’t get that in camera.

I seek the best end result I can obtain. If that means cropping the image I have no qualms about cropping away. Of course I try and use all those expensive little pixels I can, but I won’t get hung up on how I arrived at the best image.

If you really feel you charge too much, lower your prices. You need to feel comfortable with your pricing structure. It will take some time and experience to gain knowledge about pricing in your area, and for you to become comfortable with your pricing, but if you don’t have confidence in your product, and pricing how do you expect your customers to have it?

Sam