Crying like a baby

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited December 22, 2006 in Cameras
I needed to clean my sensor on my 30D. Having found the view in the fog we have got here less than perfect. I have not had time to use the camera for a while so I had not paid such close attention to the sensor as I usually do

118193983-L.jpg

So I used the hama blower to remove the blobs from the sensor and took another shot. This had little effect so I used my eclipse solution with a DIgi Pad and eventually got the sensor cleaner then I found a fibre on the sensor so decided to blow it away with the blower.

118194316-L.jpg I only touched it with the tip, but the top mark is a scratch and that means a bill from Canon for between $200 and $300 to have the cover replaced. Oh well it will have to wait until after the New Year.

I was much rougher with my 300D and never scratched the CCD. This one, given the ease with which it scratched seems mush more delicate.

Does anyone know if they have changed the front filter to a softer material than the 300D?

Merry Christmas Et Al

Stan

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 21, 2006
    Maybe it's not a scratch. It could be a rubber skid-mark from the blower tip. I would try a couple of more passes with Eclipse fluid and swipes to see if it comes off, if you haven't already done so. At this point, you've little to lose.

Good luck!
    -joel
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Lets hope so, I have rubbed as hard as I dare, but cannot get it any smaller. I will send it to Canon in the new year. They can clean it and then decide if it is a mark or scratch and take the appropriate action.

Stan
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Keep trying. I had a blob that just wouldn't budge the first time around. After several passes, it finally broke up & came off. Nearly every "OMG, I scratched my sensor!" post I've seen turned out to be an especially tenacious dust bunny.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    I have three visible fibers that I can see through my viewfinder, but for the life of me I can not find where they are located. They are not on my lenses. They must be on my sensor somewhere but I can not for the life of me remove them. However, as far as I can tell, they do not show up in photos. ne_nau.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Maestro wrote:
    I have three visible fibers that I can see through my viewfinder, but for the life of me I can not find where they are located. They are not on my lenses. They must be on my sensor somewhere but I can not for the life of me remove them. However, as far as I can tell, they do not show up in photos. ne_nau.gif

If you can see them in the view finder then they are likely on the mirror or somewhere between the back of the view finder and the mirror I had plenty on my 300D and ignored them. I could not work out how to get at them. Blowing would move them but not amke them dissapear.

Stan
    edited December 22, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    If you can see them in the view finder then they are likely on the mirror or somewhere between the back of the view finder and the mirror I had plenty on my 300D and ignored them. I could not work out how to get at them. Blowing would move them but not amke them dissapear.

Stan

Thanks for the info. I have been ignoring them but they are disconcerting to the say the least.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Maestro wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I have been ignoring them but they are disconcerting to the say the least.
    For my money i would say they are on top of the prism. Most likely they will be there for ever...i think of mine as battle scars.
    edited December 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    For my money i would say they are on top of the prism. Most likely they will be there for ever...i think of mine as battle scars.

Hey, now that is a good way of looking at it. mwink.gif