Kodak EasyShare C875

Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited December 22, 2006 in Cameras
If there is anyone here that has one, what do you think of it? I read reviews on circuit city (can get a good discount) and dpreview and overall most were pleased, but the bad reviews were horrific. Anyone got some opinions?
I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    I have never held one but did look up its specs for you. I see it sells for about $200 USD & really that isnt a lot of money for a camera. I would expect most in that price range to have similar photographic performance so maybe you can look at features that would suit you in that price range compared to other cameras. Like the C875 uses AA batts ..5x zoom...some manual features & a 10mm macro capability which i would like in a pocket camera.

Here is the specs if you havnt already found it.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Trevor,
    I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench to you...I bought my wife a Panasonic LZ3 this past summer and for 4x6 snapshots, its really terrific. I assume since you are a film guy and you have some nice equipment, you would be looking at the Kodak for snapshots and portability.

I am most impressed by the flash range on the LZ3, the color saturation and gamma - I generally don't do any post on her photos. Plus, it has a similar reach as the Kodak with the added bonus of image stabilization.

8MP is useful for cropping and large prints but I would assume the Kodak lens would not resolve the detail enough to take advantage of the 8MP for large prints - plus if its to be used for snapshots (I am just assuming), then the 8MP files are pretty large to store and move around.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Trevor,
    I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench to you...I bought my wife a Panasonic LZ3 this past summer and for 4x6 snapshots, its really terrific. I assume since you are a film guy and you have some nice equipment, you would be looking at the Kodak for snapshots and portability.
    My parents actually have a Kodak EasyShare 330 and it's an alright camera, but I am not to impressed with the image quality of it. Also it broke after it getting knocked down a couple inches.
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    I am most impressed by the flash range on the LZ3, the color saturation and gamma - I generally don't do any post on her photos. Plus, it has a similar reach as the Kodak with the added bonus of image stabilization.
    Having a nice flash would be nice same with IS, but is the IS just a bump up in shutter speed and ISO? Because I know of a few cameras that do that for their IS
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    8MP is useful for cropping and large prints but I would assume the Kodak lens would not resolve the detail enough to take advantage of the 8MP for large prints - plus if its to be used for snapshots (I am just assuming), then the 8MP files are pretty large to store and move around.
    Mike
    It does have a glass lens vs. a plastic, but I am not sure how much more this helps the ability to resolve details.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Trevor,
    The image stabilization in the Pasonic is moving the lens element and I can attest from using both that LZ3 and the FZ20 that it does what it says. I like the Pasonic IS system.

I recommend checking reviews plus take a look at PBase to see if there are example photos from that camera that are typical for what you plan to do with it and judge for yourself whether or not it will give you what you hope for.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com