Options

Multiple Domains on one Pro Account??

DunkerDunker Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited January 5, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I was wondering if it would be possible to add another domain to point to a seperate part (sub-site) of my site.

I have already DunkerVision.com, mostly for my friends and family, with mostly family pics on it. What I want to do is make a sub-site that would be more professional, with its own url, and appearing to be its own site. The pictures on this site would be less personal and more of a "for profit" plan. Possibly becoming its own seperate "pro account" if it can sell enough to support another account.

I hope I have explianed this good enough..
Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Sorry, it's not possible, via our CNAME Function. Wish I had a better answer for you.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    As you probably know - Andy does know - I am a lurk ( a know nothing, right ? ) of computers, but my this this to me:

www.antoniocorreia.com
    for the main site and

www.portugalemfotos.com for a part of my site.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say :D

Is this of any help at all headscratch.gif ?

thumb.gif Merry Christmas.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    DunkerDunker Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    yes, that is exactally what I'm hoping to do. Is it just a matter of getting a second domain name and directing it to a specific gallery?
    Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Dunker wrote:
    yes, that is exactally what I'm hoping to do. Is it just a matter of getting a second domain name and directing it to a specific gallery?

I think so. Not sure. ne_nau.gif
    Have you tryied those links ?
    Health in 2007 thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    You'll notice the same header/look/feel of his site in the second link. He just pointed the domain name into a subset category.

I would like to be able to have the same account have different looking sites. One focused just on my football photos, one on my portraits, maybe more as I grow? Right now I have Brighton Michigan football photos site set up here, but then I just link to my Smugmug site with the correct galleries. I'd love it if I could link to a version of SM without my name on in, just my football site's name (without paying two pro account fees).
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I don't think I understand.

You guys all want to pay for one account but get the functionality of multiple? I'm not trying to be rude, I just wonder if I'm missing something or there's a different way to look at it.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    I don't think I understand.

You guys all want to pay for one account but get the functionality of multiple? I'm not trying to be rude, I just wonder if I'm missing something or there's a different way to look at it.

I guess that is one way of looking at it. I see it as I still want one username/password and one pro account that all the money goes to, just two different ways of skinning the site so I can market my photos better to each particular market. Does this make sense? Not expecting SM to make it happen, but I think it would be nice. I also don't think SM really makes their $$$ on the hosting fee, but my belief is really on the prints ordered and their cut of the margin. So if a setup like this enables more prints to be sold, you'd think it would make a good win-win.
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Thanks Jim - that gives me another way of looking at it. I knew there'd be another perspective!
  • Options
    thirdlifethirdlife Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Dunker wrote:
    I was wondering if it would be possible to add another domain to point to a seperate part (sub-site) of my site.

I have already DunkerVision.com, mostly for my friends and family, with mostly family pics on it. What I want to do is make a sub-site that would be more professional, with its own url, and appearing to be its own site. The pictures on this site would be less personal and more of a "for profit" plan. Possibly becoming its own seperate "pro account" if it can sell enough to support another account.

I hope I have explianed this good enough..

You could set it up so anyone going to www.yourprofessionwebsit.com to be redirected your set smugmug page.

Or..Just host your professional website somewhere and link within frames to specific galleries...

Or, host your site somewhere, and load your images off your hosted smugmug site...(does that makes sense..)
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    JimM wrote:
    I would like to be able to have the same account have different looking sites.

There is a tutorial linked from the FAQ on how to do this.

Some examples (all point to one smugmug account)

The main site:
    http://gallery.primarycolors.com

These two just forward to categories within the site:
    http://gallery.templevista.com
    http://family.gerrard.org

I've only made minor changes between the three sites, mainly just the page title and banner at the top, but you can change a lot more based on the category.

Dunker, I would suggest making your for-profit site be the main site and change your friends and family site to a category within the main site.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Hi Beach Bill,

I never knew that was available. That pretty much does everything I am looking for. Thank you for the examples! Now I have a weekend project (or maybe longer)!