A Walk Across the Manhattan Bridge

esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited December 26, 2006 in Journeys
For some time I had wanted to walk across the Manhattan Bridge for the views of the Brooklyn Bridge it offers.

For those who do not know, the Manhattan Bridge has two levels of traffic, footpaths on either side (of the lower level) and 4 subway tracks running across it. The thing that makes the bridge a little tricky when taking photos is the fence that runs across it. There is a lower part and an upper part-both of which do not have wide enough spaces for pictures to be taken. The only exception is a gap between the upper and lower spaces which you can fit a lens through. Also adding to the difficulty is the fact that the passing trains shake the bridge rendering any time lapse photos blurry.

So, I went the first week in October (with my camera, tripod, etc) and found the footbridge with the views of the Brooklyn Bridge to be closed for construction. Sometime in early November, my girlfriend's mother was in town. My girlfriend and I live together and I work pretty long hours, so my shooting usually consists of things we do together (which she is very patient about). I knew her and her mom had some activity planned for a Friday night, so I decided to take my walk then.

Here is the footpath. The trains run towards the left.

107767836-L.jpg

Here is the train rushing by...

107768099-L.jpg

The first views of the Brooklyn Bridge emerge:

107769066-L.jpg

107770098-L.jpg

The full Brooklyn Bridge sparkles in the cold November air:

107771391-L.jpg

107772054-L.jpg

The fences-the middle gap wound up being just the right size. I took the subway over the bridge to work which gave me the idea to shoot there and I was trying to guess from the train if the gap was big enough to fit a lens through. Fortunately, it just was (barely):

107771867-L.jpg

Another view as I walked closer to Brooklyn-with a moving ferry:

107772423-L.jpg

107772859-L.jpg

Looking towards the World Trade Center...

107773402-L.jpg

As I finished my walk, the bridge crosses over the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (on the Brooklyn side).

107773777-L.jpg

C+C Welcome. Thanks for looking :D

Comments