Help me get to Oz

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited September 14, 2008 in Finishing School
This is a call for photos. I'm reading, and learning a lot from, Welcome to Oz: A Cinematic Approach to Digital Still Photography with Photoshop, by Vincent Versace.

I plan on writing up a review of the book with some examples of before/after from what I've learned.

The first chapter focuses on a portrait that Versace took of an actress. His lights never showed up to the shoot, so he was stuck with single soft light. Step by step he shows you how to light that scene in Photoshop.

I want to practice on more images, so I'm looking for portraits. They should be portraits that have no major flaws. They should be in focus, for example. But maybe the DOF was too deep, and there's too much in focus, or they're just kind of flat and boring.

If you have a portrait that you've never really been happy with, post a link here, or send me a PM. I'll choose some to rework and post the results here. I'll need the original, untouched image to start with.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 24, 2006
    My copy was shipped yesterday, but has not yet arrived.

Any of the portraits in my Smuggy acct that you would like to use, just give me the word.

Looking forward to this book and your write up.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 28, 2006
    My copy of Oz arrived today!!

Interesting book! - the techniques look very powerful and involve more chair time than shooting time. Some software sales involved also.

You going to do a book review, Dave??

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    My copy of Oz arrived today!!

Interesting book! - the techniques look very powerful and involve more chair time than shooting time. Some software sales involved also.

You going to do a book review, Dave??

I'm planning on it. I want to spend some more time with it, though, and I got distracted with my site redesign. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 28, 2006
    Oh, it's a book, I thought you might be coming with me this summer. lol3.gif

No portraits to offer, but I'm ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 28, 2006
    I thought is was about Gus' native land also, until I gathered it was a more metaphysical land.

edited December 30, 2006
    Allright, so after 1) giving the concepts in "Welcome To Oz" a chance to settle and 2) taking another look through my own images, I found that I have plenty of my own images that are great for this.

So how about giving me some feedback on these? I'm still on a definite learning curve, but here goes:

before1:

119729847-L.jpg

after1:
    119729584-L.jpg

before2:

119730123-L.jpg

after3:
    119730262-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 30, 2006
    Yup, cinematic, for sure. It's a neat approach - I guess the first thing I notice is a lot of your very own "pop" and then some more darkening of the background?

I like it better on 1 than 2... the outer portions of your subjects head got too blurry for my taste there.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 30, 2006
    help me out here, david-

just got the book and very up for going thru it-

especially the bw section-

looking at the portrait he worked on in chapter one-

1) she looks too yellow-

2) the lighting is such that she looks like she has a mask on; it reminds me of someone you see on tv who has makeup on and it ends at their neck-

any thoughts?-

or am I just not all there?-

and I do like your examples-
    edited December 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yup, cinematic, for sure. It's a neat approach - I guess the first thing I notice is a lot of your very own "pop" and then some more darkening of the background?

I like it better on 1 than 2... the outer portions of your subjects head got too blurry for my taste there.

Your faults with 2 are all to do with the shot, as I didn't add the blur that I added in 1.

Yeah, there's some pop in there, as the befores are just plain jane RAW outputs.

The concept is to draw an image map, outlining how the lighting, depth blur and shading will end up. Then you use the map to light the scene.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 30, 2006
    The review is live, here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    w00t
    thanks David!

I love our little books section!
    edited December 30, 2006
    Hey, George. I missed this post first time around.

Yeah, I agree. He went a bit far on that first portrait, IMO. The lighting is focused on her face, for sure. It's a matter of taste, I suppose. But it proves the point, don't it?
    gefillmore wrote:
    help me out here, david-

just got the book and very up for going thru it-

especially the bw section-

looking at the portrait he worked on in chapter one-

1) she looks too yellow-

2) the lighting is such that she looks like she has a mask on; it reminds me of someone you see on tv who has makeup on and it ends at their neck-

any thoughts?-

or am I just not all there?-

and I do like your examples-
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 30, 2006
    re proves the point-

yeah, I agree-

just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things-

the first photo I had seen by him was a flower he had lighted up-

most impressive-

just tried to go thru some bw-

ugh, complicated-

gonna have to hunker down on this one-
    edited December 30, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:

just tried to go thru some bw-

ugh, complicated-

gonna have to hunker down on this one-

I haven't gotten that far. I'm still practicing chapter one. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I haven't gotten that far. I'm still practicing chapter one. deal.gif

hah!-

I skipped-

and more than likely to my detriment-
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    DavidTO, i received your e-mail, thanks!
    i will get to it! (like yesterday already!)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 14, 2008
    ok, i have read through the book first without doing any of the step by steps,
    so wheres the smily icon running in circles with his head on fire? thats the one i need here. ><

its really wierd having my eyes opened like this, i am really excited to put this knowledge to work. i just need time and ofcourse the right shots with a "vision"
    i will get them. give me time.

i hate the results of the first model, but i really can use these steps!
    (i almost thought the book printing may have gone wrong)(but what do i know)

i am really happy to have this book. thanks for the review that pointed it out!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    When I saw this book, I was interested at first. I read the first chapter in the book store and decided against it, mostly because I too didn't like what he did with that first portrait. I'm rethinking that decision now. I'd like to hear what people think who have made it through some of the later chapters.

Duffy
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    When I saw this book, I was interested at first. I read the first chapter in the book store and decided against it, mostly because I too didn't like what he did with that first portrait. I'm rethinking that decision now. I'd like to hear what people think who have made it through some of the later chapters.

Duffy

Duffy, i agree that I wasn't too pleased with the results of the first chapter, but I found the concepts and tools useful (used more sparingly) in works that I did on my own. No knowledge lost there at all. thumb.gif

I admit that as the fall semester started for me I fell off the wagon and only got through Chapter 2, but again the tricks I learned and the bits of creative process philosophy he talked about through those chapters have been immensely helpful to how I approach my work. Additionally, I have more tools at my disposal.

Well worth a read, even if it's uhhh, slow going for some of us. :D
    edited January 14, 2008
    the author gave me some needed reassurances....
    inspirations, and motivations... !
    for me this isnt just a book i read and shelf.
    i will return to it many times.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I will probably give it a go. In the back of my mind, I am always wondering which will be better: plowing through a new book, or going through one of Dan Margulis' books again. So far, I've never been disappointed with the latter choice ;)

Duffy
    edited January 25, 2008
    btw, i forgot to mention that i will keep returning to the book because there is no way i will remember the step by steps.

also, note:
    chapter 5 for me was pure golden. oh, i mean B&W :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • peedeepeedee Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2008
    Just received my copy yesterday from Amazon but dismayed to find out that the accompanying disk may be defective. I have tried every which way to get the files to my C:\ drive - i.e. copy and paste using Explorer, the Windows media reader, opening direct from Photoshop - both CS3 and CS2, opening direct from the CD drive. In each case I can't get past the first image of Chapter 3. All subsequent images freeze up whatever app I'm using at the time sometimes accompanied by a message that informs me of a cyclical reduncancy error which my limited knowledge tells me is not good.

By the way I've tried with both the 8 bit and 16 bit files but not yet tried inserting the disk into another computer to see what happens.

Can any one point me to where I might be able to acquire these files or offer any other suggestions that I may not have yet tried?

Aside from the technical problems I'm having the first 17 or so pages that I have read has been revelatory. I look forward to be able to incorporate Versace's techniques into my workflow and to implement his philosophy of seeing the finished image before taking the picture.

Regards,
    edited January 29, 2008
    peedee wrote:
    Just received my copy yesterday from Amazon but dismayed to find out that the accompanying disk may be defective. I have tried every which way to get the files to my C:\ drive - i.e. copy and paste using Explorer, the Windows media reader, opening direct from Photoshop - both CS3 and CS2, opening direct from the CD drive. In each case I can't get past the first image of Chapter 3. All subsequent images freeze up whatever app I'm using at the time sometimes accompanied by a message that informs me of a cyclical reduncancy error which my limited knowledge tells me is not good.

By the way I've tried with both the 8 bit and 16 bit files but not yet tried inserting the disk into another computer to see what happens.

Can any one point me to where I might be able to acquire these files or offer any other suggestions that I may not have yet tried?

Aside from the technical problems I'm having the first 17 or so pages that I have read has been revelatory. I look forward to be able to incorporate Versace's techniques into my workflow and to implement his philosophy of seeing the finished image before taking the picture.

Regards,
    im sure Amazon will re-issue you a new book if the cd is defective.
    amazons really good for that sort of think...
    Aaron Nelson
  • peedeepeedee Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2008
    im sure Amazon will re-issue you a new book if the cd is defective.
    amazons really good for that sort of think...

Thanks, I've already sent them an e-mail.
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    I got the book a three weeks ago. I had high expectations about images harvesting and visualization but I left empty. I am probably missing the point but it feels like a receipe book where you learn very little depending your skill level at post processing. The author shall have though us the reasons of its choices, its creative process following by the implementation process. In fact, such a learning shall be applicable to any pixel editing tools not only Photoshop. The book is almost an advertising for PS and some plugins.

The hollywood portrait chapter is pretty neat but if you are already a good photoshoper, well you shall be able to do this. The plant one is not too interesting, well good in a way that you can turn a boring picture into something not to bad.

On a positive note, the images presented in between chapters are really amazing. Verdict, my book is for sale if you are interested! Look in the flea market section.

JY

peedee wrote:
    Thanks, I've already sent them an e-mail.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Good thing I read this thread before posting...cause the yellow brick road is less than 1 mile from where my humble abode....:D rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifD
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I am very interested in picking up this book....

What software is needed to take full use of this book?
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I liked it
    I know this thread's been out here for a while, but I just saw it. I went through Oz about 5 months ago and really did enjoy it. Maybe because I didn't look at it as a 'new techniques' book. I just wanted to see how he thought and apply it to my PS skills...and that was interesting.

I have spruced up some portraits using his thought patterns (as a previous poster said, more sparingly) and have been very happy with the results. So, for me, it was worth finding a used copy of the book (at Strand) and going through it.

Since you can pick it up nowadays for under $25, I'd say, check it out.

- Gary.
  • mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Finally bought the book after almost a year of prevaricating ... just wanted to see if any one has the time to discuss the techniques? I did the below photos for my local flickr gang, but thought it might breathe life into an old thread?

First image map (view large):
    2855071834_8af5234a57.jpg

2854237511_2e22b3f96f.jpg

C&C welcome.