Black and White prints

John KeaneJohn Keane Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited January 6, 2007 in Finishing School
I just booked another wedding!!! How can I offer a B&W print option for my customers?
Thanks
John

Comments

• photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    John Keane wrote:
    I just booked another wedding!!! How can I offer a B&W print option for my customers?
    Thanks
    John
    headscratch.gif what exactly do you mean, John? I think maybe you aren't getting replies because it is not understood what you are asking...exactly....
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • 03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    John Keane wrote:
    Thanks
    John

You convert your images in photoshop or whatever and then do a save as. Upload the black and whites along with your color prints for sale. Simple. Easy.
    Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
    www.charlesawardphotography.com
    cward.smugmug.com
  • John KeaneJohn Keane Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Black and white prints
    photofreak wrote:
    headscratch.gif what exactly do you mean, John? I think maybe you aren't getting replies because it is not understood what you are asking...exactly....

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I was hoping that I could set up an option for b&w in the shopping cart. In other words let the lab do the b&w conversion and then print.

Is that possible?
    Thanks,
    John
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Nope not with smugmug. Since some pros would probably overcritique how smugmug made their images black and white, they have chosen not to do this.

If you have photoshop you can do what I do and do a batch process and make 2 files, the color I add "a" at the end of the filename and the one that I convert to black & white I add "b" to the end of the filename. Then when I set the gallery to sort by filename the bw version comes right after the color version.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    What bham said
    bham wrote:
    Nope not with smugmug. Since some pros would probably overcritique how smugmug made their images black and white, they have chosen not to do this.

If you have photoshop you can do what I do and do a batch process and make 2 files, the color I add "a" at the end of the filename and the one that I convert to black & white I add "b" to the end of the filename. Then when I set the gallery to sort by filename the bw version comes right after the color version.

However, there is a very easy way: on SM, make a duplicate and make it BW - all via SM phototools.

However, as Bham mentioned, most of the pros take bw conversion very seriousely and do not rely on any "auto" process completely.

There are tons of way to make a bw/duotone in PS. You should also try the new BW in CS3 - it's fun:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"