Compressor

Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited December 23, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a 26 meg video file I'm trying to compress into a size accepted by Smug Mug (16 meg). Using Compressor, I can convert to an mpeg1 from either Final Cut Pro or Quicktime. However, the size is still too large.

What's really bizarre is when I compress a 6 meg quicktime file using Compressor, it actually turns into a a 26 meg file! That I do not understand.

The video is about 2 and half minutes with audio. Any suggestions on how to compress with Compressor or Final Cut Pro?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    I really don't do video, but I'll see if I can help find some help for you!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    I have a 26 meg video file I'm trying to compress into a size accepted by Smug Mug (16 meg). Using Compressor, I can convert to an mpeg1 from either Final Cut Pro or Quicktime. However, the size is still too large.

What's really bizarre is when I compress a 6 meg quicktime file using Compressor, it actually turns into a a 26 meg file! That I do not understand.

The video is about 2 and half minutes with audio. Any suggestions on how to compress with Compressor or Final Cut Pro?

Yeah, I can try.

First, you need to understand that MPEG1 is a PITA as far as the quality/size ratio goes. MP4 is so much easier.

Anwyay, it's really just a matter of going through your settings and trimming back and trimming back. Lower your frame rate. Lower the audio quality. Or remove the audio if not needed. Reduce the frame size. You're probably going to have to go to 1/4 size frame. Is it letterboxed? If so, change the apsect ratio of the QT so that you're not wasting bits on the matte.

If you want to put the file somewhere that I can grab it from, I can play in Compressor and see if I can help you get to a setting that will work.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 23, 2006
    Oh, and what format is the 26 MB in?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, and what format is the 26 MB in?
    It's in an mpeg-1 format. However, reading the above posts, am I correctly assuming that I can use mpeg-4?
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    It's in an mpeg-1 format. However, reading the above posts, am I correctly assuming that I can use mpeg-4?

No, I shouldn't have confused or misled you. I was just trying to get across that mpeg-1 can be frustrating, and I feel your pain.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 23, 2006
    If you want, you can put the file in my .Mac public folder, and I'll take a look.

My .Mac username is david_rosenthal
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, I shouldn't have confused or misled you. I was just trying to get across that mpeg-1 can be frustrating, and I feel your pain.

...and it hurts!! I not really sure how I can get the file to you. I definitely need the audio. Let me see if I can squeeze it some more.
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you want, you can put the file in my .Mac public folder, and I'll take a look.

My .Mac username is david_rosenthal

I'll send it to you through .mac
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    ...and it hurts!! I not really sure how I can get the file to you. I definitely need the audio. Let me see if I can squeeze it some more.

David,

I'm not a .mac member. I don't think I'll be able to get it through unless you know of a way
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    David,

I'm not a .mac member. I don't think I'll be able to get it through unless you know of a way

Finder>Go>iDisk>Other User's Public Folder

Should work....
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    David,

OK. I've been able to get it down to 15.8 megs. It's a really low rate. However, the audio is missing. Could the low rate have something to do with it?
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Should work....

Thanks David. Its in your folder.
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Should work....

I'm getting bouncing beach ball of death. Has it shown up? If not, I'll try again
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    I'm getting bouncing beach ball of death. Has it shown up? If not, I'll try again

It's there, but it's 0k.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's there, but it's 0k.

Hi David,

I just got it down to a 15.6 meg file and the audio works. I'm going to try and upload and see what happens
    edited December 23, 2006
    Marc S wrote:
    Hi David,

I just got it down to a 15.6 meg file and the audio works. I'm going to try and upload and see what happens

Nice!

There you are, just throwing 400k away.... :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice!

There you are, just throwing 400k away.... :D
    Thanks David for your help. And to you too Andy for pointing David to me. Both of you are a tremendous asset to this site.