photoshop elements out of memory

photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited December 26, 2006 in Finishing School
Wow...am freaking here....okay, my bad, because there are apprx 13,000 images in my photoshop browser. I'm trying to open it and it wont let me. I keep getting a box that says, "out of memory." I did go in under edit then preferences and increase the cache and the memory size alloted. It still will not let me access my photo browser. If there is anyone out there who would be willing to help me out I would be so very appreciative!!
I understand it is Christmas eve...and I wont check back until Tuesday...but, if anyone can help......PLEASE!
:scratchthank you thank you thank you
Mandi :shay
www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.

Comments

• greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2006
    A few questions...

What version of Photoshop Elements?
    How much memory does your computer currently have?
    What operating system are you using?
    And how much free harddrive space do you have?

For comparison, I am running PSE 5, I've got 23,000+ images, 1 Gb of memory, I'm running WinXP sp2, I've got 2 hard drives with PSE's image library and scratch drive on the second drive (seperate from the OS), that hard drive is 150 Gb with over a 1/3rd free. I generally have no problems, however it does take a minute or so for PSE 5 to load.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    A few questions...

What version of Photoshop Elements?
    How much memory does your computer currently have?
    What operating system are you using?
    And how much free harddrive space do you have?

For comparison, I am running PSE 5, I've got 23,000+ images, 1 Gb of memory, I'm running WinXP sp2, I've got 2 hard drives with PSE's image library and scratch drive on the second drive (seperate from the OS), that hard drive is 150 Gb with over a 1/3rd free. I generally have no problems, however it does take a minute or so for PSE 5 to load.
    PSE 3
    my computer's capacity is 149gb
    I am running WinXP
    I have a little more than 1/2 free
    I had this problem about two years ago but only had around 5,000 images on the computer. Wrote in here and someone suggested doing something and it worked... just dont remember what it was.
    thank you, for taking the time to try and help. I very much appreciate it.bowdown.gif
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
    edited December 26, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    PSE 3
    my computer's capacity is 149gb
    I am running WinXP
    I have a little more than 1/2 free
    I had this problem about two years ago but only had around 5,000 images on the computer. Wrote in here and someone suggested doing something and it worked... just dont remember what it was.
    thank you, for taking the time to try and help. I very much appreciate it.bowdown.gif

Mandi, how much memory do you have? I've read this thread suggesting people with 512Mb or less ran into this problem.

Also, have you read/tried this?
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • wlrivwlriv Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    Mandi, how much memory do you have? I've read this thread suggesting people with 512Mb or less ran into this problem.

Also, have you read/tried this?

while i dont know much about photoshop (beginner here), it sounds like greenpea hit the nail on the head - you need to update your RAM memory.

an easy to look at it that your hard drive (where you have more than enough storage, 100+ gb) is like a file cabnet in your office. where you can store tons of pics, videos and music.

RAM is like how much desk space you have. the more deskspace (how much brainpower your computer can dedicate to a certain task) you have, the more things you can work on... i would imagine that opening up a folder that has 13k images in it is a pretty demanding task.

here is a link to some examples - http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=147&name=Desktop-Memory

newegg is a decent online retailer, but its hard to go wrong when youre purchasing ram.

the reason they display some of them as 512 mb (256 x 2), is that generally 2 sticks of memory are able to read faster than one larger one.

installation on a desktop PC is incredibly simple if youre a do it yourselfer. im sure there are plenty of resources on the internet.
    edited December 26, 2006
    Here is one other possible solution I found, although this has to do specificly with pentium 4 computers:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1338
    Andrew