Options

Auto Show - Equipment?

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited January 9, 2005 in Technique
Greetings,

I'm still new here, so my questions may be new as well :)

In about a week and a half, I will be attending the LA Auto Show, as I do every year. Last year I took my camera and had a blast. This year, I want more than just some pictures... I want them to stand out, I want to be prepared this time.

Camera:
Sony 717

What tips can you give me to get the pictures to really stand out?
I don't think the 717 can shoot in RAW.
Tripod?
Monopod?

Eat my wheaties?

any help would be awesome.

Thanks again in advance,

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    My thoughts, Liq. If you shoot without a flash, getting the white balance right will be very important.

If you shoot without flash, a tripod is a great idea. A long enough exposure will make all the people blurry, and if timed right, could provide a nice background for the car. I've never used a 717, but I suspect it's hard to get a shallow depth of field with it, so this might be another way of achieving the same effect.

Get there early - it's tought to shoot vehicles with lots of folks in the way.

Think about unique shots. Everyone shoots cars from bumper level, front three quarters angle. How about some well lit detail shots? Interior detail? Reflections?

Just some thoughts. Have fun!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I am definately not one to go for the straight on norm shot. I will try some slower shutter stuff. It will be rather hard to bring in a tri-pod. Maybe I should look into a mono pod.

Anyone have experience with the 717 that can offer some advice?

Thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    My only thought is that a monopod isn't a substitute for a tripod. It moves too much. It's really best used as a support for massive lenses, say at a sporting event. Some folks use a small beanbag, and rest the camera on that. It's malleable enough to fit on varied surfaces and soak-up camera movement. The only catch is that you need something on which to rest the beanbag.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    My only thought is that a monopod isn't a substitute for a tripod. It moves too much. It's really best used as a support for massive lenses, say at a sporting event. Some folks use a small beanbag, and rest the camera on that. It's malleable enough to fit on varied surfaces and soak-up camera movement. The only catch is that you need something on which to rest the beanbag.
    I understand what you're saying... hmmm... must ponder...

any suggestions on camera settings?
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Feel free to check out my site. Lots of cars. Maybe something inspiring there.
    www.dugmar.smugmug.com/cars

Doug
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    I do all mine outdoors
    Nothing special!
    I have yet to use my Sony 828 yet for this. But these were taken with my FD97 2.1mp and my Panasonic 1.2mp (1st Camera) I got some great images!
    All hand held and nothing special used.

Dunno if this helps but some neat stuff to see!!

http://public.fotki.com/Karz/11_car_shows/

Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I understand what you're saying... hmmm... must ponder...

any suggestions on camera settings?

I'd give serious consideration to trying a manual white balance, and seeing how it looks. Unfortunately, I suspect the hall will have all sorts of different type light sources.

If you're OK using your camera's meter, or have a histogram, I'd at least try a few shots on full manual. That will give you the chance to try blur shots, if you wish. And Manual will let you take control of the aperature and ISO for those low light shots, especially a car's interior.

And remember the rule of thumb about shutter speed: You want your focal length to at least match your shutter speed. i.e. 50mm focal length = 1/50 shutter speed, 200 mm focal length = 1/200 shutter speed. Does your camera display the focal length?

Trying to get a narrow depth of field, and with it background blur, may be very difficult with the 717. I've never used one, can't say for sure. But my Canon G3 was never really able to give me a true background blur.

Dunno if any of this helps. ne_nau.gif

Good luck, sounds like a fun project. Don't do what I do -- forget some key setting on the camera (like ISO) and mess up a bunch of shots!! I need to put together some kind of mnemonic for me to recite before each shot - shutter, aperature, ISO and exposure compensation. How about EASI? As in, it's EASI to forget a setting unless you check Exposure compensation, Aperature, Shutter and ISO? :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    We go to the Philly show every year and last year was the first I had my F717. IIRC, I pretty much relied on auto WB. At the time, I was still learning the camera and probably did most shots in P mode, handheld, with and without the onboard flash. This year, I'll probably take the Sunpak with me and try ISO 200 on some shots. I don't know if they allow tripods or if it's worth the trouble. The key is to go when it's not crowded. For the pics I took, go to my sig link, click on 2004, and the gallery's there (yes, I really need to update the site!). One of my favorites:

3026.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Nice shot, Tristan. I'll check out your site.
    Sid.