Smugmug Questions

LR6LR6 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 26, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am thinking of opening a Smugmug standard account to back up my pictures that I have taken and scanned in.

Only problem is that I take to many photos and I already have >30GB that I would like backed up.

Altough you get unlimited storage, it looks like that you only get 6GB of traffic a month. This means that it would take over 5 months to upload all of my current pictures. After the initial upload, my traffic needs would drop considerbly. I would not ever need to download these unless something very very bad happened to my current PC and local backups. I really just need some "data insurance"

What would be the best way to proced here? I am starting to think that having some external harddrives and keeping one in a safty deposit box or something and swaping them out reguraly may be the way to go.

What do you think?

Comments

• CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    I think that traffic is download only.

Taken from https://www.smugmug.com/aboutus/limits.mg

What's traffic?

Photo views. Normal accounts get 6 gigabytes of photo views/month.
    In English: that's about 90,000 medium-sized photo views/month, a lot.
    Power Users get twice that. Pros get unlimited traffic.

Anyways, if you are interested in saving $5...put my referral code in the coupon field. 5K6kMY3Pc7p7w
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    LR6 wrote:
    I am thinking of opening a Smugmug standard account to back up my pictures that I have taken and scanned in.

Only problem is that I take to many photos and I already have >30GB that I would like backed up.

Altough you get unlimited storage, it looks like that you only get 6GB of traffic a month. This means that it would take over 5 months to upload all of my current pictures. After the initial upload, my traffic needs would drop considerbly. I would not ever need to download these unless something very very bad happened to my current PC and local backups. I really just need some "data insurance"

What would be the best way to proced here? I am starting to think that having some external harddrives and keeping one in a safty deposit box or something and swaping them out reguraly may be the way to go.

What do you think?
    Upload all you like - there's no limit on upload bandwidth :D